Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is UK Utrogestan 100% identical to European?  (Read 1252 times)

aurora

Is UK Utrogestan 100% identical to European?
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »

Hi

I've been using Utrogestan from Europe vaginally for 2/3 weeks without a problem - have just started using UK ones in same manner and am getting burning sensation.

I've read on here many times that they're exactly the same so it's fine to use them vaginally but when i compare them the European ones are slightly larger and softer - the UK are hard and round - they are the same colour so at first glance the same.

It makes sense UK would be smaller harder and rounder if they're designed only to be swallowed.

Does anyone know for a fact that they are exactly the same formula or is everyone just going by their own experience?

Thanks for all input :)

Hurdity

Re: Is UK Utrogestan 100% identical to European?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »

Hi there - if they are both called utrogestan then they should be exactly the same - check the PIL in the box for the ingredients list. However there are different doses. In UK the ones now for menopause are 100 mg and these are the small round ones. There are vaginal ones for fertility which are bigger, oval and more squashy and these are 200 mg.  These used to be available for HRT but for some inexp,licable reason no longer so those on 200 mg dose need to use 2 x 100 mg of the tiny hard balls! The dosages are here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php ie 2 x 100 mg for 12 days per cycle for peri and 100 mg daily ( or days 1 025) for post-meno.

Also the formulation changed a while ago and I presume that was the same for all versions - it used to be suspended in arachis ( peanut) oil but was changed some years ago ( fairly recently) to sunflower oil. The UK ones should all be sunflower and there should be no burning compared to European ones if they contain same ingredients at the same proportions. I've just checked the ingredients on a French site and they are the same for the 200 mg Utrogestan as the UK 100 mg (small balls). They are made in France anyway. The 200 mg ones are designed to be used orally or vaginally.

In haste as off to bed so hope this helps and hope burning goes away!

Hurdity x

aurora

Re: Is UK Utrogestan 100% identical to European?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »

Thanks so much Hurdity - lots of detail and help as always!

My European ones are from Bulgaria I think (I got them online) so can't understand their lettering although it does say in English 100mg Soft and Besins Healthcare with a Brussels address. My English ones are also 100 mg so dose is equivalent - I'm wondering if the oil is different - as i got them online they could even be old stock although they worked exactly as they're supposed to (got a withdrawal bleed which i didn't before when using bioidentical creams) I'm going to try swllowing a UK one tomorrow ha ha and if that doesn't agree with me I'll revert to the remainder of the European ones while I figure out what to do ...

Thanks again :) x