Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anybody had Hysterectomy due to severe progesterone intolerance (HRT)?  (Read 4406 times)

Night_Owl

Has anybody had a hysterectomy due to severe progesterone intolerance (HRT) - to be able to continue taking estrogen only?

Caught between a rock and a hard place - need to take estrogen as it helps alleviate chronic migraine, however I can't tolerate *any* type of progesterone, been through the spectrum - last hideous use of Utrogestan has made me realise I can't ever go there again, it turned me psychotic. 

Obviously a hyster is drastic and I've been pondering this for years since the Panay Meno Clinic suggested it -  need to take estrogen long term and there is no other way.

Any advice / comments appreciated, with thanks.

Night_Owl

For anybody who may be interested - if you find that you are progesterone intolerant and experience extreme behaviour when taking progesterone and with the withdrawal - it mimics PMT, menstrual psychosis - this article explains a lot - there is also (hopefully genuine) a comment from Professor Studd at the end of the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2339186/The-women-told-theyre-depressed-fact-menstrual-psychosis.html

SueLW

I know nothing about hysterectomy, but could you not have an ablation?  Would that not remove the lining and stop it returning?

I might be talking tosh.  I just wondered.

Taz2

Sadly, if you have a uterus you do need progesterone while on HRT. It's a good question though SueLW.

Taz x

Night_Owl

Thanks - Will ask at next Meno Clinic appointment re: ablation - wondering if hyperplasia can still occur after ablation and if it has to be done repeatedly, have no idea on this. 

Dotty

You would still need progesterone after an ablation. I agree with Taz. X

sarastolly

• First Flush

Watching with interest, I cannot get on with progesterone at all, my GP has said I have to have a last ditch try with Mirena before any Dr will consider me for a Hysterectomy. So had it put in last week, just waiting to see how it goes .......

Burchers

I had an ablation in 2016 stopped periods completely but still having to take progesterone as part of my HRT

Mary G

Night_Owl, I can really sympathise because I am severely progesterone intolerant and on HRT for life so I am in a similar situation to you.

I was advised to have a hysterectomy and I will do so eventually but I can't take time out to have the operation now.   It is a long recovery time and I can't possibly be in a situation where I can't drive, at the moment at least.

If you can face the operation a hysterectomy would probably be your best option but an ablation would be a good interim measure and there is virtually no down time.   I know you would still need progesterone BUT you can do a three month cycle with no risk of breakthrough bleeding - something that is difficult to achieve without an ablation.   I know it's not ideal but a three monthly cycle might be more palatable and make all the difference.   You probably wouldn't have the ensuing bleed either.

I think the final decision depends on how progesterone intolerant you are.  Unfortunately, you can't just flick a switch and make yourself able to tolerate progesterone.

paisley

Yes Night Owl
I had a full hysterectomy because I was very severely progesterone intolerant. I had mine in 2011

Taz2

Did it work paisley? This sounds very encouraging.

Taz x

Night_Owl

Thanks All for replies and suggestions.  You know when you get to a point and think - *no more*, end of the line for any type of progesterone.

"Unfortunately, you can't just flick a switch and make yourself able to tolerate progesterone."  So true MaryG - for some women the intolerance can get even worse with age as the body becomes less able to process prog. 

I've tried increasing Vagifem and estro to reduce absorption, however it makes not a jot of difference - the intolerance reaction overrides it.

Sarastolly, you are brave having the Mirena, I was never able to agree to it as feared not being able to remove it if the side effects sent me crazy.

Paisley, did your health/ mental state improve with not taking prog, have you found some stability (on estro only)?

Emerald2017

I asked my gyn for a hysterectomy cause I wanted to minimize breast cancer risks taking only estrogen.
He was adamant that it is a very hard operation and he would do something like that only if there was a serious medical reason for hysterectomy.

Taz2

Emerald - having had one for prolapse (which thankfully went well) I would agree. It is major surgery even when done vaginally or via laparoscopy with few visible wounds.

Taz x

paisley

To have a hysterectomy is a very difficult decision. Obviously once your ovaries are removed there is no going back.
I would love to tell you that everything is fab now but it isn't. 7 years later & I am still trying to find stability. Yes it is easier as I don't have to worry about progesterone any more but I really didn't think it would be this hard to find stability on Oestrogen only. But as with everything else as we all know every woman is different & there probably lots of women doing fine. I just wanted to be honest as it is a very drastic step to take. Xx
Pages: [1] 2