Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 2535 times)

Lou Wood

Confused
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »

Hi ladies. I live in Greece and have been prescribed Estalis sequi patches for 3 months. They are similar to evorel sequi but 50/270 rather than 50/140.
 I've just turned 50 had irregular periods for the last 5 years  and hot flushes night sweats for last 18 months. 2017 had periods Jan July Aug Oct Dec. None in 2018.I also have osteopenia.
Reading here about evorel sequi I'm quite worried about getting side effects from the progestin. If that happens can i cut down the progestin patches?? Why do i need so much progestin?? and why do i need to bleed every month ?? (I understand the womb lining has to be kept thin re hyperplasia and also that i should give my body 3 months to get used to it). I'd rather try a natural progesterone but will ask about that in 3 months.
Thanks in advance for any insights. The more i read the more confused i get! 😃

Dotty

Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »

Hi could you ask for the lower dose of patch to try first? You may not get any side effects. Give it a go and see what happens x

Lou Wood

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »

I can't ask until Friday as it's a menopause clinic in a hospital and then it's going to close for summer break. As far as estalis goes i can't see that it comes out in another dose. They don't have evorel here either. When i asked what is it she said progesterone so i thought i was getting something natural til i got home and looked it up. I also asked about side effects and she said there aren't any. Unfortunately i don't have many options here. Thanks for answering x

Dotty

Lou Wood

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 02:34:46 PM »

You're right. It does come in a lower dose in Australia but not in Greece! I can get regular Nurofen here but not lemon meltlets you get in UK. I have asked several pharmacies if they can bring them but no they're not listed.  :(
Thanks for looking x

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

Oh ok. Sorry I couldn't help.

Perhaps give it a try and see what happens x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »

Hi Lou Wood

:welcomemm:

You need to bleed every month because you are not yet post-menopausal and so have been given cyclical HRT. However continuous progestogens can give rise to adverse side effects in some women so it's good to start on a cyclical type anyway to see how you get on. Try not to look for problems - the product wouldn't be on the market if most women suffered bad side effects.

Another alternative is the Mirena coil which delivers most of the progestogen locally and allows you easily to increase the oestrogen dose should this be necessary or desirable. You would most likely eventually stop bleeding on the coil even if you were not yet at menopause.

Hurdity x

Lou Wood

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. Sorry but i still don't get why i need to bleed every month. I think I've read about women arranging to bleed every 3 months? Isn't that an option? As long as you have a scan to check the lining isn't too thick.
I would be happier taking progesterone so maybe I'll try and find another doctor...
Thank you

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 05:54:52 PM »

If you haven't stopped bleeding naturally, that is if you haven't had a period for a year, then you will need a sequential HRT which will cause a monthly bleed.  No bleed or continuous HRTs are for ladies who haven't had a period for  a year.

Lou Wood

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »

Oh i see. It's just a protocol the doctor follows (even though i haven't had a period in 7 months and she said from my lab tests it's sure i won't get another!) So maybe i should hang on another 5 months...
Thanks Dotty

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »

I've never figured out the logic with this either. If you can have a Mirena of continuous progestogen, why can't you have other forms?

I think it's meant to be so that it doesn't mess up your own cycle whilst you're still having them, but the Mirena does and the mini pill (and combined pill) so if they're all allowed before menopause why not continuous HRT.