Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: feeling old and tired  (Read 1707 times)

Pennyfarthing

feeling old and tired
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »

Hubby and I went for a walk over the marshes in this glorious weather this afternoon.  I was recalling how I used to take five kids there camping and that the last time was probably 22 years ago!!  we used to walk miles, jump the creeks, ride bikes, swim etc.

Today we walked about a mile and a half and sat down to enjoy the scenery.  When we went to get back up we were both creaking and aching.  :'(. My knees ached and hubby said his neck and back were killing him.  We were glad to be back at the car.

We drove home moaning about getting old and how its suddenly crept up on us.  I never imagined a day when I couldnt take a running jump and leap over a creek but today I couldnt as I felt stiff and my knees felt like they wouldnt work.

I used to cycle miles until last summer when I suffered a torn meniscus.  I used to do a brisk two mile walk every day until all this drama with my Mum and then couldnt fit it in.  I used to do yoga and also gave that up agter a year when the teacher left.

I feel old today and I dont like it.  Does anybody else feel like they're suddenly ageing?

Wilks

Re: feeling old and tired
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:22:00 PM »

Yes but apparently it's “natural” so we have to embrace and accept it.

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »

Getting old happens to us all PF.

Life: None of us is getting out alive  ::).

It's a journey and none of us know when we will reach the terminus so just enjoy the ride. We may be slower than when we were young but hopefully we have more wisdom.

Seize the day.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »

I think it's normal to feel like this from time to time. I'm not sure how old you are but I understand the feeling that things are beginning to change fitness-wise.There are things we can do to help maintain fitness as we get older. The important things are flexibility and muscle strength. It's worth finding local classes to begin to get fitter. Swimming is excellent apparently but I keep putting it off. I find that by the time I get home from work I don't have the push to bother to go out to a fitness class but I don't want to retire quite yet so fitness is going down although the job does keep me fit in some ways I guess.

Are you on any HRT? I find that without it the muscle aches and stiffness are very noticeable.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »

Yes, I felt like that for 2 years. Permanently tired, sore joints, weak muscles, too tired to do anything. Then I started HRT. Now I am back to feeling middle-aged instead of old, though I think getting mucles & flexibilty back will take some time and effort.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »

Yes, I feel old,
When I look at myself, I hate it,
I can't do stuff like I used to, I used to go to the gym,
Now I know it would probably finish me off....
I do have a massive hang up on getting older.  I hate it..

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:38:03 AM »

thank you for the replies!  I am 64 and on HRT.  I agree about the swimming and for several months last year I went to aquarobics and then that clashed with visiting Mum and also the pool wasnt warm enough for me.  There are only two pools around here to choose from.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »

It's The Change.  In the 1980s I walked 2-3 miles twice a day  :scottie: more at weekends and on holiday in the Lakes, out from dawn until dusk.  Didn't think twice other than taking food/drink for us and treats for the dog.  I remember M-in-L telling me that her legs ached and I remember thinking that I would never 'get like that'.   :-\

Now I know I can't face walking those distances as I am so out of practice.

Think about what you are able to do.  What would you like to regain from walking etc. and ease into a regular regime?  I have known 4 many years that we both need to do more exercise ......... but in reality in this heat, I wouldn't consider anything.  Not even swimming .........

We have a tread mill - used once last year  :-\.  We have cycles - far too hot!

Wilks

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »

CLKD- Cycling in hot weather can be much nicer than you might think. If you try a nice steady pace, nothing too strenuous, you can feel much cooler than you would walking because it creates a nice breeze.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »

Not in intense heat after not exercising for years.  Doesn't do anyone any good unless they are hardened to it.  I can't understand how those professionals in le Tour cope  :-\.  I lived in Wales for many years and even on the tops of hills it was warm  ::) but whizzing down brought out goose-bumps  ;D.