Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Tips for coping with bad days  (Read 862 times)

AngsanaBlossom

Tips for coping with bad days
« on: July 05, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »

I started oestrogen gel a few months back just on certain days over my period to stop crazy PMS I was having. I was also taking St. Johns Wort which seemed to help me a lot with the anxiety and low mood I was experiencing. I stopped it, started to feel anxious again and am now day 3 on it again. I took up running to exercise my way through the menopause and surprised myself when after 1 month I was able to do a 10K in an hour.

My consultant told me that I will have good days and bad days. I've been having lots of good days but the bad ones are sneaking in too. Yesterday I felt amazing then early last night I went out and had 1 drink and now feel like the black dog has descended on me with a vengeance. I've already cried twice and feel really awful like I have a massive hangover. I went to bed last night at 8pm as I was so whacked out.  Having loads of bad thoughts and feel like I need to get in a car and drive a few thousand miles in the opposite direction. I'm doing that thing when I feel down and anxious that I hate which is questioning whether it is the peri-menopause or am I just developing a mental illness.

Does alcohol have this much effect on peri-menopausal women?

When you are having a really bad day what do you do to help yourself or make yourself feel better? I wish I could just tell myself that it is the peri-M, take a duvet day and watch a sad movie, bu a massive bar of Dairy Milk and have the day off but my mind wants to hit the self destruction button it seems.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tips for coping with bad days
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »

Many ladies find that as they age they have to drink less or no alcohol. 

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?   How is your over-all diet?  Keeping energy levels even can stop those awful anxiety surges.

SueLW

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »

Have you tried adding extra gel on the bad days? 

It sounds like your levels are dropping.  If you need to take something else for the anxiety then perhaps your gel dose is too low.

I'm no expert.  Just wondering if it's worth adding an extra pump or half-pump of gel on the bad days.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »

Would it be better to use the gel every day? 

AngsanaBlossom

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »

Thank you for the replies.

I am due to go back to see my GP so will address it then. I don't know enough about this treatment to be honest. I read that if I have Oestrogen gel then I should also have progesterone? I am just having Oestrogen gel days 16-26 at the moment. I feel better on those days. She didn't give me any more as I asked for my PMS to be addressed and that was all at the time.

Feeling exhausted today and really weepy and anxiety through the roof. It is day 9 in my cycle. My period (shorter and lighter) finished about 4 days ago.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:03:26 PM »

Maybe put the product name into the search box on here to see what threads pop up?  Make notes  ;)