Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Agitation  (Read 3747 times)

ladylollipop

Agitation
« on: June 16, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »

Hello, I am just wondering who also struggles wit agitation combined with nausea nearly every day. It is so awful. Any advice what to do? I already take venlafaxine. ( maybe not long enough) lady lollipop

AG

Re: Agitation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »

Hi,

I have not experienced any nausea aside a fairly wide range of unplesant menopause symtoms until earlier this week. I cannot quite pinpoint whether nausea is peri menopause related (I am 48 and hope to think in late peri menopause) but I had one or two days of pretty awful nausea I never experienced before. I do not normally take any supplements (except vitamin D3 during winter months) but have since yesterday taken some magnesium and this seems to have eliminated nausea (for now). This could be a coincidence or not as some of my symptoms appear out of nowhere for some days and then go. Maybe a small dose of magnesium could alleviate nausea but it depends on a person and whether they may be magnesium deficient (I may be I don't know and will do a blood test for this). All the best, Anna

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »

:welcomemm: Girls.  I had nausea for years, due to a sudden need for my body to get sustenance.  I was advised by The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS] to eat every 3 hours even in the night.  I also have 'safe' foods to graze upon.

Have a good look at your diets?  Make notes to see what exactly you eat and drink.  Don't restrict your fluid intake as the kidneys will work harder = more bathroom visits in the night.

My list of grazing: A Very Good Breakfast of muesli; dried fruits and nuts; bananas; Dextrose tablets; pancakes - the mix can be kept in the fridge for 2/3 days and cooked instantly - worked well yesterday [long story short]; ginger biscuits

We eat a lot of cooked rice with diced chicken and veg., including ginger and garlic.  Stir fried grub.  Occasionally steak with fresh veg and home cooked chips.  Himself likes fish but I'm not keen  ::).  He eats eggs on toast but my gut can't digest them unless in  :cake:  :cupcake:  ;)

HORMONES  >:(  ::).    ADs are unlikely to stop nausea but can ease associated anxiety and depression.

Browse round!

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »

AD's are pretty good at giving you nausea as is HRT
I take both and am frequently nauseous.
I've taken the AD for years like 25+ on and off, nausea is at its worst in the first 6 weeks or when you change dose.
I knew HRT would make me nauseous- i was like it on the pill. Pill settled down after about 3 months .
I am hoping HRT will settle too.
I suppose, for me it is about cost v benefit.
Do i prefer nausea or menopausal symptoms?. At the moment i prefer the nausea lol

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »

Ps
I only wrote about nausea. Same for agitation.

Tiddles

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »

Hi. Not sure what that is that you're taking - is it HRT ?) Prior to taking HRT agitation was one of my symptoms. HRT (sequi tablets) sorted that out for me very quickly but then the Progesterone in the HRT resulted in bad nausea. I changed to a different type of HRT (still sequi tablets) and the nausea has gone. Agitation has not returned.  Perhaps you could try reviewing what you're taking and trying something different ? X

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »

Yup - experienced both, both on and off HRT and whilst trialling AD's in the past.

The thing is, the central nervous system hates being messed with even if the changes that are happening are for your eventual good. The whole system is trying to reach a new level of homeostasis - and this can cause some pretty alarming side effects whenever we shake things up.

Both AD's and HRT are particularly centrally acting for instance, mood changes are both listed as side effects of each as well as nausea.

It's really tough, but whilst adjusting it's vitally important to limit stress from outside as much as possible as well as trying not to panic too much about any side effects. Eat little and often, rest well. This puts your system under less strain so that it more able to cope with and accomodate change.

I am living with MS, so have developed strategies for how my CNS can be an ever changing landscape and how I have to adjust my stress load to deal with this.

In essence - listen to your body at the moment and show yourself lots of loving kindness! xxxx

ladylollipop

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »

Hello Tempest, thank you so much for your explanation. Makes me feel better because every day I hope venlafaxine is working properly. But as you wrote our nerves system is a mess and the Ad has to adjust which can take a while. So that might also be a reason for my agitation because every day I wake up and hope it's gone or better. Put myself under
pressure. Should be more relaxed my husband says.
So sorry to read that you have to live with MS. Wishing you all the best Lady Lollipop xx

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »

You're most welcome, ladylollipop and thank you for your kind words. 😊

It can indeed take 4 - 6 weeks to start feeling the full benefits of an antidepressant, but a good friend of mine has quite recently started Venlafaxine and I can say that 2 months later she is a changed person! She was quite shakey when she first started it, but now has just started a new little volunteer job part time and has been to a family wedding - both of which she told me she was petrified of doing just those few weeks ago.

You will get there - just remember to treat yourself with loving kindness just now, and the rest will follow. xxxx

P.S. I forgot to add - it can take 3 months to stabilise properly and up to 6 months to feel a full resolution of your symptoms. Psychiatrists generally recommend staying on the medication for at least 18 months to receive full remission before even considering coming off treatment. So don't panic if you're not quite there yet!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:51:06 PM by Tempest »

ladylollipop

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »

Dear Tempest, glad to hear it works for your friend. I take it now 10 weeks and I am not totally down. I work all the time but  sometimes it is not easy. I work as a headmistress in a primary school. But I stopped the AD already 3 times that might be the reason it takes a bit longer( the lady at the pharmacy told me so). May I ask where do you live in the Uk? I used to live in Sevenoaks many years ago. Lady Lollipop x 

Poppi

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »

Ladylollipop

Thank you for posting this question and I'm happy to see there are so many positive replies! I too have these feelings and I'd say (after reading your replies!) that this is perfectly normal, but didn't realise how common it was. My dear Mother-in-law (sadly deceased) used to eat only tiny amounts in her 50s and always had fish+chips when we went out for a family meal and we teased her about being so predictable - now I know why. I hope the replies have put your mind at rest   :foryou:

Poppi x

ladylollipop

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »

Hello  Poppi, thank you for your reply. Yes it seems to be  very common and it was good to read that I am not alone.  I never expected that menopause is such a hard time. Have a lovely weekend Lady Lollipop x

Poppi

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »

It's so comforting to feel we're not alone. Sorry that you lost your father, any sad life changing event seems to add to anxiety and a feeling of being alone. I'm trying to remember that other people experience similar sadness and come through it . It all just seems much bigger a load to carry when feeling down.
Take care of yourself and have some a restful Sunday.
         Poppi x

paisley

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »

Ladylollipop
Being a headmistress is stressful enough without all this hormonal upheaval. Xx

ladylollipop

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »

Dear paisley, you absolutely right.Are you also a headmistress? Lady Lollipop xx
Pages: [1] 2