Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: I'd really appreciate some advice and input!  (Read 2264 times)

thecat1227

I'd really appreciate some advice and input!
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:40:40 AM »

I'm 49 and have always had regular but heavy periods. In January, I had no period. Same thing in February, March and April. On May 17, it came back, totally unexpectedly. I'll have to see if it comes back next week or not.

However, these past few months, I have been suffering from terrible hot flushes and night sweats. My gynaecologist put me on Estradot 50 mcg. On my own, I added progesterone cream (Biovea) as I've read you should never use estrogen without progesterone if you still have your ovaries.

However, the estrogen patches have not helped more than marginally, and sometimes I even have the impression they make me worse. Every morning, I wake up drenched in sweat and I have to change the bed linen daily. I also sweat during the day, although nights are worse.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? At my age, I feel I "should" need estrogen therapy, but why then have my symptoms not improved since adding Estradot? Could I actually be estrogen dominant and not estrogen deficient...?

I would prefer to take a pill such as Femoston instead of using progesterone cream and patches, but I have read that oral estrogen should be avoided...?

I'd really appreciate any input from others as I cannot continue like this, but feel the doctors are unable to help me...my gynecologist seems to think all women my age need estrogen therapy, end of discussion.

Anna

Wilks

Re: I'd really appreciate some advice and input!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 06:33:47 AM »

Maybe the progesterone you're taking is insufficient? I don't know much about oestrogen dominance but isn't it about the balance between oestrogen and progesterone not the oestrogen levels per se?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »

Hi Anna. Hiw long have you been on this Hrt as I think you were on femoston before.? Is there a reason for the change?

I don't understand why a gynae has put you onto an oestrogen only regime either as you are right that you need progesterone to protect your womb from cancer.

Taz x

AG

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »

Hi Anna,

I am 48 and had a number of months leading up to a period at the end of April with likely high oestrogen levels (lots of water retention and other symptoms which made me consult this forum. My GP, although helpful, thinks I am still "too young" for menopause but I may prove him wrong soon). Interestingly, after April things seem to have "switched" and I have now distinctly drier skin etc all since early May, and a blood test (although not this reliable) indicated low oestrogen and higher FSH (taken in first few days of period in late May, which was very light). I am not on HRT (yet) as I am hoping that symptoms will easy off over the next few months (rather than years), and one thing that does help for me is to exercise. I am lucky to be able to walk to work, and run regularly (with some adaptions as I am something feeling really tired and exhausted on some days). For now I have decided not to go on HRT as I am hoping my symptoms will settle down over the next few month. I am planning to get a bone scan done though around 50 or so, and if that points to a bone loss issue I may then consider continuous HRT for a few years. I hope you will find things settling down to less severe symptoms possibly with appropriate mix of HRT.

All the best, Anna

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »

I agree - why did the gynae not prescribe a proper progestogen?! She is negligent in not doing so as you are missing some periods and therefore not ovulating every month so your uterus lining will build up as has been said.

Biovea and especially any OTC hormone creams, will not produce anything like enough progesterone to protect your womb - some of the privately obtained (very expensive) compounded creams might if they are stronger but are still not recommended for womb protection because they are not standardised so you do not know how much is in them and how much you absorb whereas the proprietary brands have all been thoroughly tested re endometrium and dosage. The Biovea will probably do very little for you anyway....

I appreciate the preference for transdermal HRT I have only ever used it myself!) - and especially in relation to libido but if the latter is fine then at your age there is no problem with taking oral HRT as you are still very young and CV/stroke risk very low.

Why not go back to Femoston if you prefer it - it is probably the best of the combi oral HRT types?! Don't be pressurised by your gyane unless you have specific risk factors for stroke/cardio-vascular disease ( eg very overweight, high BP, smoker etc) that the consultant has given as reasons for you to be on transdermal preferably. it is your body after all.

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »

Best to go by trial and error as I’m 48 and oestrogen dominant but imagine we’re all different.

If you do ever return to progesterone cream only (as discussed may not protect the womb with ERT), I have found it cheaper to get the prescription cream as it’s £115 for any strength which lasts 4 months. The USP creams like Biovea can be about £30-40+ a month and a lot more if need stronger dosing. However, you would need the appointment for the prescription which at minimum is £90 but then you can get repeats by emailing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:58:11 PM by dangermouse »