Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Continuous HRT post-oopherectomy... so why am I'm a bleedin' geyser?!  (Read 1126 times)

more-sequins

Hiya - my first post on here, so hope someone can chip in with thoughts :-)

I'm 48 and had a double oopherectomy (ovaries and tubes out) last September due to cancer risk. I wasn't perimenopausal; it was the full surgical meno. Initially, I liked the estrogel/mirena combo I was on, but the coil fell down and caused me pain; unfortunately I had to have it out.

So for the last 4 months I've been on 3 pumps Estrogel and 100mg of Utrogestan, in what I hoped would be a continuous dose as, pre-op, my periods had always been heavy and stressful. No such luck.... I'm now bursting out bleeding all the time! Every three weeks for a fully heavy 'period' and even if I miss my regular dose time by 12 hours.. bam, another full 4-5 day bleed. Weep! More feminine ishoos than when I was fertile!!

Am I on too much or not enough of either estrogen or progesterone? My GP is saying only 'it'll calm down' but I want to understand the science behind what's going on in my own body. Any helpers?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:31:53 PM by more-sequins »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Of course you want to understand and why didn't the Consultant discuss the ins and outs prior to Surgery  :bang: :bang: :bang:  there really is no Joined Up Thinking  >:(

Browse round.  Make notes.  Have a look at the 'treatment' section.  Hopefully someone will be along with HRT advice.   Have you asked a local Pharmacist for advice, most have private rooms these days.

:welcomemm:

more-sequins

Good idea asking a pharmacist.. will try to find a friendly one. I feel like I've read the internet on HRT studies but nothing's quite covering my specific state.

The info on this site ' if the periods have been stopped for more than 1 year (postmenopause) before starting HRT, or the women is aged 54 or more, progestogen can be taken every day' makes me wonder if continuous use isn't meant for me, as a (relatvely) young surgical case?

more-sequins

..also I understand the general advice of 'With continuous combined HRT, some bleeding in the first few months of treatment is quite common, but should have settled by six months'. ..but this isn't spotting. I'm being told to 'take a break for a few days' then go back on, but how is this then training my body to get used to a continuous regime? Oh I'm super confused! Sorry  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

That's two confused then  ::)

Did you ring a Pharmacist?

Dancinggirl

I had problematic bleeding with Utrogestan on a Conti basis - Utrogestan isn't that powerful so can often cause erratic bleeding.
Either switch to a sequi regime (so Utrogestan 200mg for 10-12 days each month, after which you will get a withdrawal bleed) or perhaps try Provera ( medroxyprigesterone) on a Conti basis.
You could try the Mirena again - you may have simply been unlucky the last time.
Look under TREATMENTS to see your options.  DG x

more-sequins

Thanks both... I had a chat to the pharmacist today who, ironically, was going through something similar with her HRT  ::)  Her advice was to keep chucking the pills back continuously even throughout the bleed, for another month and see if it settles.

If it doesn't, I'm trying the Mirena again. I am OVER bleeding everywhere. xx