Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First names - unwarranted use of  (Read 3494 times)

Joaniepat

First names - unwarranted use of
« on: May 11, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »

Does anyone else get irritated by all and sundry using their first name? Just had a telephone appointment with a GP and my first name was used by both the receptionist and GP. I find this unprofessional and think it is designed to put me in my place. They probably think it is more 'friendly' but I don't attend the surgery to make friends.

Perhaps I need to chill out!

JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: First names - unwarranted use of
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »

You can ask any profession body to call you by what ever name you like.  When going into Hospital they Staff are supposed to ask so that the preference is above the bed and on all records seen by Doctors etc..

It's 'dear' that I hate ........ from someone who doesn't know me.  My GP calls me Mrs X when he calls me into his Surgery but once the door is shut it's my Christian name, after all I call him by his ....... we are of similar age and I think that makes a difference.

I can't get used to my Mum being called by her Christian name by the Staff in the Care Home  ::)

Nope it doesn't irritate me in general .........

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:24:43 PM »

Hi joaniepat
I think they do it to put you at ease, I find and I don't mind , if they use my
1st name, BUT, it's when they repeatedly use it, like , it's too over the top,
I mean how at ease do they want you to be, asleep? Lol

Sometimes I say to OH, if they say my name one more time,  :cuss:
there is no real need for it, think they're trained that way.
I bet there's loads of people who think the same,  :-\

Think we might need a chill pill joaniepat.   ;D

Jd x

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »

jd, maybe they do think it puts people at ease, but it does the complete opposite to me! No GP has ever introduced him or herself to me as anything other than Dr Whatever. How would they like it if I used their first name? They wouldn't. I've even been addressed this way by a pharmacist in Boots, and yet the elderly chap in front of me was addressed as Mr, and I'm no spring chicken myself. I asked the pharmacist not to use my first name in future. You're right, I do need a chill pill.

As to those who keep repeating your name, I've always thought this is a form of aggression, and can understand why it annoys you.

JP x

Two hoots

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »

I find it hilarious when my mother is referred to by her first name because she's never been called by it apart from official use, and she hates it  ;D , I think it must have been the fashion when my parents were born because both of them use their middle names and never their first names, not even by their parents

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »

Talking about names,
Is there anyone else's parents or family members , who use a totally
different name?
My mom was ‘Freda ‘ to everyone, but her real name on her birth certificate was ‘Lois ‘
Why? When we asked as kids, she would just say because that's what everyone calls me!
Very evasive. Lol ;D
When letters or bank statements used to come with the name ‘Lois' on them ,
we'd say who's Lois?. And she'd just laugh.
It's happened with OH mother too. I find it funny.  ;D
It's like, we called our son, say, David, but we call him Steve. Lol
 :rofl:
Jd x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 06:08:45 PM »

Yep.  Himself's family were Christened with lots of names and the girls were known as maybe the 3rd and even the 4th  ::)

It is common in Wales.  Family names were passed down so lads were known by the middle ........ made finding Medical Records really hard work  ::) "Have you been seen here B4?" I had to then ask "Which names were you given rather than which name are you known by?" when dealing with 1,000s of Jones', Evans', Williams' ............

Kernow

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »

Hi JP....it was brought in as ‘the new way to make patients feel comfortable'....by whom..lord knows.

Personally I think it is much better if they use your surname initially and then ask if you're  happy to be called by your Christian name.

However the reverse is also true....do staff really want patients calling them by their Christian name initially...works both ways... :)

Salad

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »

I'm more than happy for anyone to use my first name
BUT can't bear it when they shorten it to the twee common nickname that I have never used  :hotflash:

It literally makes me cringe!

I'm not sure if it's them using the frilly, dainty word or my inability to tell them not to, in case I upset them  ;D

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »

Couldn't agree more, Kernow. It does work both ways. With the medical professions I find use of patients' first names without their permission rather sinister and believe it is done to infantilise them, or put distance between patient and medic in an attempt to reinforce their own perceived superiority. My solicitor doesn't find it necessary, nor does my financial advisor, or podiatrist.

Salad, I sympathize! I know a couple of people who are always know by their middle names because they can't bear their first names. I'll have to ask them what, if anything, they say to these forename-users!

I think I'm getting paranoid about this issue, but do know of others who think it's rude, so it's not just me! (Perhaps it's an age thing, poor old girl  ::))

JP x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »

No not at all joaniepat
If it's something that gets your goat then you have a sound off about it.
It's better to let off steam than keep it in.
But sadly, if people are being trained that way now, more and more are going to do it.
I must admit, I would feel uneasy calling my doctor by his/her 1st name, it just
would feel wrong, unprofessional I suppose. But then I'm getting an old girl too.  :-\

Jd x

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »

Thanks for being so understanding, jd. I've calmed down now, with a bit of help from my Saturday night glass of wine  ;)
JP x

Annika

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »

Your not wrong Joanie I loath it too, to me its rude since they don't know you and often its a much younger person but like everything else these are the times we live in I guess.

dulciana

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »

Quite a lot of my young music pupils call me by my Christian name - uninvited -and while I accept that these are the days we live in, I'm not very comfortable with it.  I think it's disrespectful, frankly.  The problem is that their parents call me this to their children and so I'm fighting a losing battle.   :-\

Thoughts, anyone.....?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:00:22 PM by dulciana »

Daisydot

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »

When my daughter was about to start secondary we were mulling over which one till she said that the one she,d chosen allowed them to call teachers by first names and no uniforms needed.decision made! She went to the school of our choosing in her nice new uniform lol now that was 25 years ago and you know what  that particular school no longer has that policy it just didn't work.xx
Pages: [1] 2