Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Worried by sudden constant spotting  (Read 2106 times)

stascha15

Worried by sudden constant spotting
« on: May 08, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

Hi, I am almost 49 and I guess more noticeable perimenopause symptoms have to manifest themselves at some stage- but would that not be gradually? I have gone from normal periods that weren't even particular irregular (sometimes they came a little closer together but none missed yet) to constant spotting since my last period. After the period I had two days nothing, then three days of bright red spotting, then one day nothing, two days spotting, four days nothing and now spotting again  :'(  I just worry that there is something wrong that isn't just hormones. How can it all get messed up so suddenly this month? Has anyone had this happen? Thanks.

pease

Re: Worried by sudden constant spotting
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »

I would put money on this being a perimenopause event and nothing to worry about. However, any unexplained vaginal bleeding should really be investigated so I would see your GP just to get checked out. I've also had bleeds and been sent for scans etc all of which is quite stressful but nothing ever found and all settles down again. By the way, it is quite nice to have a scan if only to be reassured that all is well in the gynae department!  ;)

Pat2121

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:34:21 PM »

Hi Don't worry .. same thing happened to me and a lot of women experience this. In perimenopause changes in hormone levels interfere with ovulation. If ovulation does not occur, the ovary will continue making estrogen, causing the endometrium to keep thickening. This often leads to a late menstrual period followed by irregular bleeding and spotting. Hope this helps :)

pease

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1p5g0#play

I've no idea whether the link will work, but there was a really interesting discussion about "below the belt cancers" on Woman's Hour (Radio 4) this morning. If you listen to it, there is very strong advice that you should not "normalise" unexplained bleeding. Go and see your GP. They will be the very best people to advise you. And I can only repeat, having a scan is not at all painful and can be a great source of reassurance.

stascha15

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »

Thanks everyone. I have a GP appointment later this month anyway, will mention it then. Hopefully there is not need to rush and see GP before that? I suspect it is a menopause symptom as I have felt out of sorts with dizziness and "not feeling myself" as well and because of my age. My smear tests are up to date. Still, let's see it the GP will send me for a scan, would be great for reassurance.

pease

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »

Sounds like a plan! ;)