Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: News item: Diet rich in fish and legumes may help to delay natural menopause  (Read 2294 times)

Emma

• Administrator

There's a news item out today about diet and menopause.
It's on our news section at:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=191
with a link to the original research.

The BBC is running the story as "How your diet could influence the age of your menopause" with 'have your say' comments:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43948399

and our website's section on diet and the menopause is at:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php

Dancinggirl

I'm a life vegetarian so have had a diet rich in legumes all my life - my menopause started in my mid 30s. I have taken fish oil supplements for many,many years as well.
I'm afraid there is only so much one can do in regards to when your meno begins and how well you cope with the menopause as I believe it is mainly down to genetics. My mother and grand mother both had an early menopause - they both had good diets and also ate red meat.
I wish they would simply come up with better treatments for oestrogen deficiency. DG x
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:34:14 AM by Dancinggirl »

Dorothy

On the basis of this information, I should have had a late menopause, not an early one!  I agree with Dancinggirl that genetics is likely to play a much stronger role than diet.

Emerald2017

I agree! I have a very healthy diet too and had my meno at 42. I recently found that a drug that I used for my acne many years ago, “roaccutan” can also cause a ovarian failure. There too many theories and trying to accuse ourselves doesn't  help. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Not a huge amount of ladies followed in the Study.  Certainly we are what we eat but genetics plays a huge part too though my Mum couldn't remember hers when I asked for information  ::) I was in my late 40s.

She's now 91 and never been on HRT. 

Shadyglade

I think the study was based on a high carb diet so not to be recommended. My mum had her meno in her late 40s. My sister and I were both in our late 50s. I don't think these studies mean very much.

Shadyglade

Er, I feel like I being tick off for some reason.  Not really on.

Check out Emma's BBC news link and read the first sentence please Hurdity  :o

Mary G

We all know that having a healthy, balanced diet is good for so many reasons and I doubt anyone would argue with that.  But I think there is only so far you can stretch the point when so much is based on genetics and a pre-disposition to certain conditions, early menopause being one of them. 

Shadyglade

Yep, I would agree with that. There are just too many variables.