Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi!! Lots of questions  (Read 1365 times)

sam1976

Hi!! Lots of questions
« on: April 24, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »

Hi! I'm Sam. I'm going through early menopause - I'm 41 and haven't had a period since last August.
I finally decided enough was enough with the hot flushes and went to the doctor. After blood tests to check that I was actually menopausal, the doctor put me on Fem seven sequi patches which I started on Sunday.
I have lots of questions and I'm finding conflicting or hazy information when I'm googling. I'm hoping you lovely ladies can help me out 😊
1. How soon would any side effects appear - is it too soon after only 3 days?
2. I'm feeling quite raaar-y - something I haven't felt for a while. I used to suffer from pmt ”stroppiness” as my husband called it and since they stopped I haven't had that. Since last night I've felt really short tempered and stroppy.
3. I also have period type tummy ache - also something I haven't missed. Again - is it in my head or could it be the patch this early into the course?
4. Between the blood test and the doctors appointment (there were no appointments for a few weeks!) the hot flushes have subsided but the doctor said it would be beneficial for me to still have some form of hrt. He also said that I'd have to have a coil fitted because of the hrt. I'm a bit foggy about the explanation as to why as he'd thrown lots of information at me already - can anyone explain it please?
Maybe I'll stop there and ask the rest later. I don't want to bombard you all too much lol!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi!! Lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »

Browse round.  Make notes.

:welcomemm:

MaritaB

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »

Hi Sam
Welcome! I'm new to the forum too so can relate to the need to ask lots of questions. You may well be sensitive to changes in oestrogen levels - I felt different after just 1 day of taking 1mg of estradiol cream -  and it will certainly make you feel more “ra ra ey” as you put it! I also found that the estradiol made my womb feel more swollen and enlarged (this turned out to be adenomyosis in my case) but even without any medical conditions the HRT will wake up the oestrogen receptors all over your body including in your womb.
You need progesterone to balance the oestrogen unless you have had a hysterectomy or are completely menopausal. I eventually had the coil fitted 6 Months after starting HRT, as my oestrogen levels kept spiking and even though I was taking utrogestan (natural progesterone) my doctor was concerned that this was not enough to balance the oestrogen. I don't whether you have had the coil previously, although painful to insert i'm glad I had it done!
Hope this helps. I have a colleague who has early menopause at 42 and was prescribed HRT, she's been on it 10 years now and hasn't looked back! Mx

MaritaB

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »

Forgot to say - the main thing about the Mirena coil is that it releases progesterone directly into the womb where it's needed - so protects the womb lining and prevents it over-thickening due to the HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »

Hi sam1976

:welcomemm:

Just to clarify what MaritaB said here "You need progesterone to balance the oestrogen unless you have had a hysterectomy or are completely menopausal", in fact you always need to take a progestogen with oestrogen to protect the womb ( if you have one) even when menopausal - but you can take it continuously ( or have the coil) rather than sequentially, therefore avoiding a bleed.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM sam 1976
I had an early menopause so understand how confusing you must find all this. You have done the right thing to go onto HRT - it will protect your heart and bones for the long term. Finding the right HRT can be trial and error.
Starting on a medium dose HRT is not always the best thing to do as it may take more time for the body to adjust and you may not need the higher dose - starting low is always better and then increase if needed. Having said this, you may feel better in 6-8 weeks once your body has adjusted t this hrt. 
The Mirena can be a good option as it usually means you have no bleeding at all after the first few weeks which can be a big plus and allows you to use as little or as much oestrogen as you need alongside as patch or gel.
Look under TREATMENTS to learn more. Keep us posted - we're here to support you.
 DG x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:38:55 PM »

Hi sam1976 - great advice from everyone as always! Is the coil for contraception purposes? As you are under 50 you are advised to wait two years without a period before you can abandon contraception and HRT won't stop you getting pregnant. Obviously when you are on HRT it is difficult to work out whether your natural periods have finished.

Also, it is common for hot flushes to stop in the weeks leading up to a period so it could be that you are going to have a "natural" one. It is usual for periods to stop and start when you are in peri-menopause. Some women can go for almost a year without a bleed (eleven months for me during my peri days) before they start again so it could be your own hormones giving you the period type tummy ache.

Peri-menopause is a time of constant changes but you'll have us lot to keep you going now - no question is too silly or personal.

Taz x  :welcomemm: