Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: What’s the feedback response/loop?  (Read 1219 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
What’s the feedback response/loop?
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »

Hi
When I last saw my private gyny, I showed her my private blood test results. They showed a high progesterone amount. She dimissed them saying that Oestrogen, whether, exogenous or my own, would produce a feedback cycle.

So basically I paid for blood tests with a private company, showed them to my private gyny and my GP, my Gp said I'm not post menopausal and my gyny said I could be creating a cycle by taking HRT! It's so confusing!

I do feel like I'm on a 6 week cycle after keeping a mood diary. I'm currently on 3 pumps so will now increase to 4 to see what happens.

Has the feedback thing been mentioned to anyone else?

dangermouse

Re: What’s the feedback response/loop?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »

Blood tests are not very helpful unfortunately with hormones.

The feedback loops can be down to negatives (one hormone lowering another one) or positives (the same homone raising another one).

A good example is when you have sugar, it raises insulin (positive) and the insulin then lowers blood sugar (negative). The outcome is back to square one as the body will always attempt to establish homeostasis.

If you need something though, then it may be accepted, although the body may already have adapted to dampening down receptors, again to try to rebalance itself, so can take a while to re-adapt.

Best to go by how you feel, particularly long term, as short term hormones can also create an initial high which then falls later on, a bit like an alcohol high followed by a hangover.

The best measure is when you find other parts of your health starting to heal, then you know you're on the right track!

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: What’s the feedback response/loop?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »

Thank you Dangermouse for that explanation. Yes I think I understand. So basically the body is trying to balance itself out each time.
Yes I agree about the high, as I've got to higher doses of Oestrogen, my sex drive peaked, then dropped right off!
Anyway trying 4 pumps now, hopefully this will finally shut off the peaks and troughs.
Thanks for your reply.