Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Will Mirena coil reduce pain and back ache?  (Read 1354 times)

Stridz

Will Mirena coil reduce pain and back ache?
« on: April 11, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »

Hi.  Just needed some opinions/advice before seeing GP.  I was on the Progestogen only Pill (Desogestrel) for a few years due to endometriosis...I didn't like the idea of the Mirena coil at the time.  Having had peri menopausal symptoms for a while - I'm 50 very soon I decided to start HRT (Oestrogen gel and Progesterone tablets).  I have now swapped hot-sweats and headaches for constant left sided pain in my womb plus lower back-ache.  I still have the brain fog, tiredness, general achy joints, irritable bladder, but I know it can take 3 months for full Oestrogen benefits.  Does anybody know if the Mirena coil could sort out this pain - even if there's some initial discomfort?  My GP suggested it when first prescribing HRT which was just over 9 weeks ago.  Thanks for your help.

Dancinggirl

Re: Will Mirena coil reduce pain and back ache?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »

Endometriosis often emerges again when using hrt I'm afraid. I had bad periods pains with normal combined HRT types but the Mirena worked very well for me - after the first few weeks the spotting stopped and I then had 4 years of very few issues. The Mirena allows you to use any amount of oestrogen you need to control flushes etc.
I think the Mirena would probably be your eat option.
DG x

Stridz

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »

I have had no bleeding at all, or spotting since coming off the pill. My periods seem to have disappeared...although maybe there's time yet?  Can you have endometriosis without bleeding??

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »

I am not a medical professional but my understanding of endometriosis is that, during our fertile years, the endometrial lining grows not just in the uterus but in other areas of the abdomin - this is due to the oestrogen. If the ovaries fail (as happens at menopause) then oestrogen  levels will drop and this lining will not build, so essentially the endometriosis will go. HRT will bring oestrogen that will relieve menopause symptoms but can also allow endo to start again because the progesterone in normal combined HRT may not be strong enough. The Mirena drip feeds progesterone locally to where it is needed preventing the oestrogen from building this lining.
This is just my thoughts so may not be entirely accurate but if you have had erratic and problematic bleeding in the past then the Mirena can work extremely well. DG

Stridz

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

Thanks for your help and the information regards Oestrogen....it's good to be prepared before I have my next discussion with the GP.