Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does ‘gut rot’ happen in peri?  (Read 2819 times)

Sgtvhilts

Does ‘gut rot’ happen in peri?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »

I have suffered quite unpleasant gut symptoms for about 4 yrs now. Upper abdo pain, serious growling- wow its loud, wind, bloating, foul flatulance (tmi-sorry), constipation. I have had LOADS of treatment from gp's - proton pump, ranitadine,  mebeverine countless OTC , diet exclusions, all of them help tp a cerain degree, but do not get rid/cure.
A bit of a light bulb moment- or so i think recently. My anxiety is not great and my night sweats are appaling- as these have got worse recently, so have my gut problems.
Is gut trouble a symptoms of peri and if so has anyone's improved with hrt.
Thanks

Otter15

Re: Does ‘gut rot’ happen in peri?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:12 PM »

Hi. You will find some extremely knowledgeable ladies on this site who I am sure can answer your questions. I had similar problems though, was on 80mg of esomeprazole and ranitidine but did not help much. Lost my voice, saw a voice therapist who suggested keeping a food diary. Turned out I was dairy intolerant. I then got IBS symptoms but my dad was dying at the time so I put it down to stress. It was the time my periods stopped though so not sure of the cause. I follow the FODMAP diet and that has helped enormously. I've also started eating flaxseed in my porridge in the past few months and that has helped too - start with a little. I did not need omeprazole - don't like taking it all the time but no choice - for a month! I don't take HRT so can't say but you can see what others say. Good luck.

dangermouse

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »

Huge connection! Gut rot indeed.  ;D

Hormones are manufactured in the gut and also processed through the liver and pushed out through the bowels. I've often suspected that dodgy gut flora is why some suffer more than others.

Also, oestrogen dictates how fast or slow the transit is, I think high causes slow transit (like in pregnancy so that nutrients hang about longer) and low causes fast transit.

I suspect many of us here have been through the whole array of PPIs, endoscopies and anti-emetics!

Otter15

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »

So does this eventually settle down or is it another life long problem?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »

Yep.   

When I was having regular periods about 10 mins. B4 the bleed began, even if it wasn't due, I would need to rush to the loo.  FAST!  HORMONES  >:(  ::).  It can certainly upset bowel rhythm.  Aggravate IBS.

Rosie63

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »

Hi. Just tried to reply to this post but it's not appearing on here so apologies if you get this twice ! I just wanted to say that I think I'm older than you ladies so post menopause but have always suffered with IBS and symptoms seemed worse at certain times of the month so always thought it was hormone related. After having to change my hrt a few months ago my IBS symptoms have got a lot worse.  My gp and gynae consultant have suggested I get my gut looked at but I don't want to go through all that again when I think it's hormone related.  I'm currently on Estrogel and Utrogestan regime but it's been the same on other hrt preparations I've tried over the last few months.  I thought it might be the prog but I was the same when just taking the estrogen.

Anyway, after reading posts on here, I'm taking a good probiotic daily and eating prunes and figs to help with constipation.  I've also gone back to taking Colpamin to try to calm everything down.

Rosie63 x

Rosie63

helenmelon

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »

Hi, yes and yes !!
I got gut problems, was in lansoprazole for months, ended up having an endoscopy it was so bad. I also had stomach pain, thought it was something terrible, had CT scans of liver, pancreas etc nothing serious found.
Anxiety and major sweats day and night been on HRT for 4 months feel sooo much better. I definitely think hormones and the gut are strongly related and although HRT isn't perfect it has helped enormously.

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »

A good probiotic is essential, everyone should be on one or be eating lots of fermented foods.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »

I can't face fermented food though ......... don't want to buy something then throw it away  :-\

Otter15

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »

Can you get non dairy probiotics?