Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi - I'm a 'newbie'  (Read 895 times)

CINDYGIRL

Hi - I'm a 'newbie'
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie!  Age 68 years young, Total Hysterectomy 25 years ago at age 43. - been on HRT since but over the last couple of years have been 'taken off' it 3 times by Dr due to the numerous 'studies and 'reports' regarding it's long term use and currently going through a terrible time with hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety, aches and pains etc - as a result of the latest HRT 'withdrawal' - though I have now had a good talk with my GP who has decided that as he has made me aware of the risks involved that he will once again prescribe HRT and have been back on now for just 4 days - so hoping to get back my life.....fingers crossed.  Anyone else been through similar circumstances ....?  Would like to hear your views.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:06:28 PM by CINDYGIRL »

Robin

Re: Hi - I'm a 'newbie'
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »

Oh cindygirl that's awful.

I'm glad you've found this site. I'm new here myself so not able to advise but I'm sure you will find the ladies here very informative and supportive. I have found a lot of the information and treatment suggestions extremely helpful.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome.
Robin

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »

Your GP is WAY OUT OF DATE ............ some of these issues are due to costs to the Surgery ......

Browse round.  Make notes.  Go back to your GP and ask 4 the regime which suited you and if there is any query, refer him to Dr Currie who is responsible for this site!  Make a double appt. so that you don't feel rushed ;-).

Let us know how you get on.  My analogy is that the bus might mow me down long B4 HRT [which I don't take] caused problems with breast disease. I was treated for this in the 1990s.  Quality of Life is important to me .........

Welcome Robin!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »

Cindygirl - if you are fit, slim, don't smoke and basically healthy, then there is no reason why you need to come off the oestrogen.  I know a lady who took HRT into her late 80s and she is amazing. The risks are small, in fact I believe studies showed that women who had had a hysterectomy were less likely to get BC if they used oestrogen!!! Oestrogen will protect your bones and heart and will help to prevent urogenital atrophy and bowel cancer. 
I would switch to transdermal oestrogen though - so Oestrogel or oestrogen patches, as this is advised post 60.  Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page. DG x

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

Hello cindygirl, it's a pleasure to welcome another young woman of my own age!

At least you were able to use HRT uninterrupted until the last couple of years, which is a very good thing, and hopefully will protect you from the many problems that lack of oestrogen brings.

I had my hysterectomy 20 years ago and only got about 6 years worth of oestrogen replacement. My next GP refused point blank to prescribe any more, although I did not want to stop. "Government Guidelines" were the reason quoted. This was in 2003/4 when I was 54. Looking back I can see how many problems this caused during the ensuing years, although did not know enough about it to put two and two together. I finally got my HRT back last year, and now use transdermal oestrogen and testosterone, plus local oestrogen for urogenital atrophy. I feel much better than I have for the last couple of years.

So the moral of this story is: don't let them muck you about!  ::)

JP x