Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 3355 times)

Otter15

Vagifem
« on: April 07, 2018, 03:56:55 AM »

Does anyone know if Vagifem can cause breast tenderness or am
I just experiencing old symptoms I got before a period - even though they finished a few years ago? Is anxiety and insomnia part of being post menopausal? I have only had it since the VA started so not sure if it is connected to low oestrogen or just that I don't know what is going on physically.

Daisydot

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »

A lot of ladies will say no otter15 but I've personally had a lot of breast tenderness esp left sided,it comes and goes in waves so I've a feeling that when I initially do my pessarie on day one that's when it's at its peak and now on day 3 I've woken up with not much tenderness at all so I'm still trialling things myself and not 100% sure but from guesswork I'd say yes it's the vagifem.anxiety is a huge part of meno as is insomnia if your not already on hrt I'd go speak to my gp as these things can be helped very quickly with hrt.im 61 and resumed hrt after a five year absence when my meno stymptims were dredful and it's been a huge help for me.good luck xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:55:58 AM »

Yes, it's an interesting one. Most people will tell you that as Vagifem is such a low dose, it doesn't enter the blood stream once the vaginal tissues are plumped up. I didn't get breast tenderness when I started treatment for VA. However, I restarted systemic HRT a few weeks later, at the age of 67, after being taken off it 13 years earlier. I was given Tibolone at first, which gives a very low dose of oestrogen, and I did experience breast tenderness for the first few weeks. I am now on 3 pumps Oestrogel with no problems. I think it depends on how well you absorb these things, and how long your oestrogen receptors have been "asleep".

As to anxiety and insomnia, these certainly are associated with menopause. Systemic HRT would probably help in the first instance, then any remaining symptoms could be sorted out separately.

JP x

Otter15

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »

Thank you for replying. Sometimes I am not sure whether I am just imagining it all! I think you are right about the timing Daisydot. I had a Six week break from the Vagifem (big mistake) and have recently finished the one a day, which is when the tenderness started - left side too. I thought once you had gone through the menopause insomnia etc stopped but I seem to have got worse. Maybe the break did not help. Will speak to my doctor about HRT. Thanks.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Otter15 - it takes around 2 years for the oestrogen levels to bottom out after the last period so often women don't experience true menopause symptoms till then - so insomnia and anxiety are typical meno symptoms - the menopause really "messes with the brain”.   
Mindfulness is my saviour but it takes a lot of practise and discipline.   
Vagifem is such very low dose of oestrogen and virtually none is absorbed systemically but there are some women who get side effects in the first 2 weeks when it's being used every day.  This initial 2 week load is designed to build and restore the tissues in the urogenital area and therefore block any systemic absorption better. You may be getting a little reaction to the oestrogen but this will settle -  don't ever stop using it or the atrophy will return - Vagifem used arguably will help to keep everything healthier so can prevent bladder and vaginal problems.   DG x

Otter15

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »

Do the symptoms eventually settle? I know atrophy is for life but what about insomnia etc? I think not knowing what is going on is part of the problem - once I understand what is happening then I will adapt. I can't believe how little I know! There is a quit smoking support  group at my surgery but not a menopause one. Everyone knows about hot flushes and night sweats but no one I know is aware of atrophy or ongoing insomnia - including me. I am very glad for this forum as I have not been able to get answers/advice from people who are in the same situation anywhere else.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »

Sadly, problems with sleeping is one of the hardest menopause symptom to find a solution to. I never know whether I will get a reasonable nights sleep - if I get 5 hours sleep I think I've done well and that will be with only 2 trips to the bathroom during that time.  Occasionally I'll get 6, maybe even 7 hours sleep and I then feel great the next day.  I sometimes find it hard to drop off to sleep and other times I fall asleep Ok but I am then awake from 3-4 am. I often drop off to sleep around 6am to be woken by my husband at 7.30 with my herbal tea. I usually use a lot of my time in bed simply doing Mindfulness and listening to my husband sleeping soundly - I so envy his ability to fall asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow.
If I get a really bad run of poor sleep, I take a Nytol which will give me about 7 hours sleep but you can only use this now and agin or it stops working. 

You are so right - there really needs to be a Menopause clinic at every surgery.  DG x

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »

Try some redbush vanilla flavoured tea otter15.tetley.
I found I slept really well when I took that.My husband had me awake from 4am this morning with his snoring I went into kill mode lol.that affects my mood for the whole day now sleep deprivation is a demon.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »

Yes for some ladies symptoms do flatten out and disappear.  Others have highs and lows as hormones mutter along  >:(.  Each of us is different.  Some 'sail through' apparently  >:(  ::)

I wonder then if my breast tenderness is related to the Ovestin  :-\ - I had a break of 4 weeks then used for 3 nights last week to ease niggling symptoms and have had tenderness, however, I have also been gardening  ::)

Otter15

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »

Bought some red bush vanilla tea today. Will try tonight. Thanks.

Daisydot

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »

I'm having some now otter lol I'm tired but not sleepy enough and I found on the redbush (only vanilla) I slept like a log for a good 7 hours so now my visitors are all gone I can chill now put my Fitbit watch on to monitor my sleep pattern tonight and enjoy a good vampire/zombie movie lol how sad is that  :rofl:
Fingers crossed it helps it's completely caffeine free as it's a herb not a tea apparently,good luck x

Otter15

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »

Thanks for the advice Daisydot. Have had two nights of full sleep. Red bush may be the answer. Will continue with it.

Daisydot

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »

Brilliant otter15 I'm so pleased for you,I know it's not for everyone but if it helps to break that vicious sleep pattern then it's worth trying,bonus is it's also used in weight loss obviously along with calorie watching healthy eating and exercise,it def removes that snacking urge at night for me.well done xx