Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hashimotos- Recommendations for increasing ostrogel  (Read 1310 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Hashimotos- Recommendations for increasing ostrogel
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »

Hello there,

Does anyone have any recommendations on how long it takes to stabilise on a dose of ostrogel? I have Hashimotos (auto-immune, under active thyroid) & from experience I know it takes 6 weeks for thyroid hormones to stabilise after changing the dose of thyroid medication.

I increased my oestrogel dose to 4 pumps daily 3 weeks ago & although symptoms have improved somewhat I will not know the full effects until my next period ( when I usually hit the floor) or arguably until the period after that when I've been on the new dose for a full 6 weeks. My plan was to access symptoms at the latter date & then increase the ostrogel to 5 pumps if symptoms have improved but persist to some degree.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I am under Professor Studd & of course could ask the clinic but I'm also interested in hearing women's experience on this issue particularly if any have Hashimotos. I'm 49 & perimenopausal.

Thank you everyone  :)

Hurdity

Re: Hashimotos- Recommendations for increasing ostrogel
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »

Hi BlueKingfisher

There are members with underactive thyroid (presumably Hashimoto's) and who also take HRT but I can't recall anyone posting recently about this. Hopefully someone will come along soon to help you answer this particular query.

Hurdity x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »

Thank you both so much for responding!

Interesting that the oestrogel didn't make any difference to your thyroid levels Stellajane  gosh - we are all so different aren't we! It effects mine for certain as I can see improvements in my thyroid levels from being on zero oestrogel and increasing amounts from thyroid bloods taken on the same day in my cycle - I can feel a positive difference too but then my oestrogen levels were quite low to start with (less than 19) so that may or may not be a contributing factor to our different experiences...?

Hurdity - thank you also for your reply. Regardless of anything else, how long would you recommend staying on one dose of oestrogel before raising it (or indeed lowering it) ?

Thank you so much  :)

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

No, unfortunately the difference isn't enough to warrant reducing my Levothyroxine but it puts my TSH in the lower range which is where i feel best. I think it was around the 6 mark prior to taking oestrogen. I'd be interested in what your over medicated symptoms are? I sometimes wonder how easy it is to confuse under active thyroid symptoms with hyper ones if you know what I mean!  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »

"Regardless of anything else, how long would you recommend staying on one dose of oestrogel before raising it (or indeed lowering it"

Difficult to say as I've only just started gel and it depends how quickly your body reacts. I am sure you should know after 4 weeks - although for me when I have reduced doses ( from medium dose patch), it has taken several weeks for symptoms to start coming back - but maybe different on higher doses, or if you are peri-menopausal , and also very different for those in surgical meno too.

Sorry - that isn't much of an answer - try how long is a piece of string?! The main thing is not to keep chopping and changing because it isn't an instant thing - there are long term cellular effects which oestrogen is responsible for - it's not just the levels in the bloodstream, which respond very quickly.

Hurdity x