Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How much Estrogel?  (Read 2691 times)

allie007

How much Estrogel?
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »

Hi ladies
Ive just started using Estrogel last week,have never tried HRT before as Ive only just had blood tests showing FSH levels of 60. I had a Mirena coil fitted 4 years ago and get along fine with it. When I went to my GP she automatically started to prescribe me HRT pills but following very kind advice on here I asked to try the gel. The GP had never prescribed it before but did give it to me and said to use 1 pump a day.
Ive read that some ladies are using more than 1 pump so am wondering is the GP playing safe by telling me to use this amount or should i be using more?

Dotty

Re: How much Estrogel?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »

Usual starting dose is 2 pumps .

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »

I started on two pumps, but need three to control my symptoms.
You could start on the one and increase it after several days if it is not helping.
Are you using the Mirena as you he progesterone component? I ask as the Mirena is only licensed for 4 years when used for HRT so you may need to get it changed.
Mind you that may be only if you are post meno like me, not too sure if it is the same if in peri stage.

allie007

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »

I am using the Mirena for that yes. I have a follow up appointment in 3 weeks to discuss changing it,the GP told.me it was ok for 5 years though,not 4.  Im not sure what stage im at with menopause. I had the odd period with the Mirena,just spotting really every few months until 2 years ago and had no period since. Gp said that my FSH level of 60 indicates i am post menopause.

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »

I have used 1 pump for many years no symptoms at all its fantastic stuff.

allie007

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »

Thats good to know! I cant wait to feel 'normal'. I want to enjoy wine again!  ;D

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »

I was told by two different doctors that the Mirena was licensed for 4 years if for HRT but 5 years for contraception purposes, so definitely get that checked.

I love my estrogel, been using it for 18 months now.

Dmt

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »

I use 4 pumps Estrogel per day, 2 in the morning & 2 in the evening. I also take Progynova 1mg (Estrodiol) twice a day as well and I feel great! Because I also have to use utrogestan 100mg for 7 days a month

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »

Wow DMT thats a lot of oestrogen, do you find that the 100mg for such a short period gives you adequate uterine shedding, have you followed up with a scan?

Dmt

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »

Yes I've had a scan and the utrogestan I bleed regularly every month. 2 days really heavy then 2 days of light bleed and I feel great. My problem is hair loss from Tostran, which I've lowered the dose on to see if it helps

Ljp

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »

I started in one pump Ali feuded Mirena, then upped to two as I was still getting hit flusges and anxiety, now I use three as it helps my VA symptoms.

When I had Mirena fitted by the gynae at the hospital she wrote on my Mirena infir, remove/replace after 4 years.
When I spoke to my GP a while ago, she said 5, I think I prefer to take gynae's advice, my GP also said, if I decide to stop HRT, I don't need to have coil removed, it's fine to leave it in! ....I don't think so!
I'm sure she only said that because my coil strings have disappeared inside my cervix (had scan as couldn't feel them) and she knows it possibly won't be easy to remove it.... I've got until December 2019 with my current coil, so will have to start thinking about it next year 🙄

allie007

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »

When did you all start to feel relatively human? I cant wait,am really struggling with the tiredness,finding it hard to cope with working and am a single mum to a 5 year old. I dont get any hot flashes.

Dmt

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »

When did you all start to feel relatively human? I cant wait,am really struggling with the tiredness,finding it hard to cope with working and am a single mum to a 5 year old. I dont get any hot flashes.
it was about 3 months before I felt better

Dotty

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »

8 weeks and I'm beginning to feel the benefits.