Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post meno 43-day bleed, stopped with Yaz, miserable - advice?  (Read 1245 times)

hoping4best

I am 4 years post-meno due to premature ovarian failure. I'm 43, and had been on a patch plus utrogestan or crinone for a few years, and was having unscheduled bleeds and adenomyosis cramps. My lining was very thin but wouldn't stabilize. A new doc then tried me on cyclical, patch always plus utrogestan (I'm in US so prometrium) 12 days every other month. That was much more predictable for almost a year. Other than hair loss I felt okay.

I started bleeding in January after a drop in my estradiol dose, and bled for 43 days straight (light to moderate) and my doc said I wasn't building a lining—just bleeding, needed a stronger dose of estrogen, and put me on Yaz to stop it. It stopped on the first day, but I'm on Day 4 of yaz and I feel horrible: interrupted sleep, so thirsty, low mood, fatigue. I halved the yaz today and put a patch on too to see if I could feel more normal. Not yet.

I get along with utrogestan ok, it even makes me feel good sometimes, but I cannot get control of my bleeding. I feel frustrated and sad, I've not had more than 3-4 months of predictable bleeding in 5 years. My hair has gotten very thin, which is why when my doc said he wanted to give me birth control to stop my bleeding, I went for Yaz. I fear hair loss on the Mirena.

Has anyone had trouble stabilizing their bleeding on utrogestan and the patch? What are my best options?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post meno 43-day bleed, stopped with Yaz, miserable - advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »

I can't offer advice but can give a  :bighug:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »

Hi hopingforthebest

I had this problem with Utrogestan - I never had erratic bleeding with any other progesterone! Utrogestan gave me a nasty rash on my face as well - I do wonder if it is more likely to effect hair as well? I also got awful cramps with Utrogestan and most other progesterones but the Mirena was far better.
Why not try medroxyprogesterone instead - many women get on with this really well? 
Don't be frightened of trying the Mirena - after the initial burst of progesterone, there is actually less progesterone circulated systemically so I think less likely to effect hair etc. I had the Mirena in post meno, with Oestrogel, and it was the best non bleed option I ever tried. I slept really well with the Mirena!    Just because Utrogestan is bio identical, doesn't mean it doesn't give nasty side effects.  DG x

hoping4best

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:29:07 AM »

Thank you for the hugs and encouragement. I feel like I have gotten terrified of progestins, it seems easy to feel like I'm doing something wrong if I need to use something other than Utrogestan.

I stopped the Yaz after 4 days and feel so much better. That was horrible! I hadn't tried birth control in almost 20 years and I didn't get on with it back then, either.

Maybe I will try a Mirena. I had 2 copper IUDs in the past and I bled very frequently on them—my body just wanted to get them out. I'm afraid the Mirena will be the same, and I have less control over administering it myself, as opposed to a pill or a patch or a gel. But if I start unscheduled bleeding again, I will have to try something else!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »

The Mirena is very different to the old IUDs. It delivers a small amount of progesterone that stops the lining from building up in the first place ( unlike the IUD) and this is why it is so good at sorting out problematic bleeding. There can be some initial side effects e.g. feeling a bit sedated and some spotting or bleeding, while things settle but it is recommended by so many gynaes now because it is so effective and is successful for over 90% of women.

I personally believe that, for some women in post meno, the uterus simply doesn't want to ‘play' anymore and HRT expects this tired old organ to respond. Just like our muscles and joints, the uterus doesn't react as it once did and  Utrogestan isn't as strong and stable as the other synthetic progesterones, so the uterus simply doesn't cope well.
Either try Medroxyprogesterone or Dydrogesterone if you can get them or give the Mirena a go. DG x