Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mood flat after period  (Read 1455 times)

Spangles

Mood flat after period
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »

Hi,
Just wondering, does anyone suffer from low mood and anxiety after a bleed? This month I had no pmt but it seems to have come at the end of my period. I sometimes get this along with feeling very tired. Does anyone else experience this?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

dangermouse

Re: Mood flat after period
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

Yes I've had this for a few years and now it's moved to from Day 2! Oestrogen starts building up after your period and may be surging too high. Oestrogen is a stimulant so too much can cause anxiety and exhaustion.

You may find increasing the oestrogen part of your HRT may suppress your own cycle more to make the surges less overwhelming.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »

On the other hand - if you are still peri-menopausal - your oestrogen may have dropped to a low level which can cause low mood and anxiety. In the normal menstrual cycle it (oestrogen) is at its lowest as the bleed starts and slowly begins to pick up - depending when your bleed is that is, by about Day 7 - Day 14 ( in a normal 28 day cycle) when most women feel much better as oestrogen rises to a peak. You are more likely to feel tired from low oestrogen and high progesterone (which is a sedative). Of course in peri and on HRT there is no normal cycle - but depending on the dose of oestrogen it may well be that you need more not less. As dangermouse says you can suppress your own cycle with very high doses of oestrogen and this is most effective if you are ovulating regularly.

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:12:15 AM »

Hi ladies,
Thanks for your replies, totally confused! How on earth do I know if mt oestrogen is high or low?
xXx

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »

My endo said that the symptoms can be similar for both and that you look at where in the cycle your symptoms are worse. If the middle (roughly Days 7-21) then it's high oestrogen and if it's the other day it's low oestrogen.

I also think some symptoms are different like vaginal dryness which is a low oestrogen symptom where a lot of mucous is high oestrogen. Flushes and feeling hot can happen with both but going freezing cold even in warm heating is, for me, a very obvious high oestrogen symptom.

I have oestrogen surges from Day 2 now so it's bad but at least not so changeable!

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Just another thought but if you were thinking of taking HRT then you could use it as a test to see which one makes you feel better.

Estradiol made me feel immediately worse (bloating, anxiety, migraine, odd dissociative feelings, carb cravings) and progesterone made me feel better (energetic, calm, positive, appetite under control). The latter is harder to test as I suspect the one you get on the NHS (Utrogestan) is a bit potent - many talk here about it making you sleepy which is the last thing I want! So you could get oestrogen gel or patches and try that first as I think you feel it quite quickly if it's what you need.

Spangles

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »

Hi ladies,
Thank you for your replies.
Dangermouse, I have been in hart for over 3 years now, hence the confusion.
xXx