Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Should I have started on continuous HRT?  (Read 1175 times)

mummybetsy

Should I have started on continuous HRT?
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »

My GP said she would start me on continuous HRT following a blood test if no other reason was found for my symptoms (it been nearly two years since my last period).  When I went back blood test was fine but she said that she had looked into it further and women who less than 3 years post menopausal are more likely to have erratic bleeding on conti so she has prescribed Elleste Duet. 

I'm a bit disappointed to return to monthly bleeds and possible the PMT like symptoms I have been reading about with this.  Do you think this was the right first move of her?

Dotty

Re: Should I have started on continuous HRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »

I think you should have been started on a conti hrt.

mummybetsy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »

I guess I should have asked does anyone know this research that shows greater erratic bleeding in women who are less than 3 years post-menopasual?  I have googled and can't find anything.

aspie65

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »

I don't know about that research but my GP told me that they are advising against continuous HRT as the progesterone element is now seen as the most problematic re cancer.  Just to add to your confusion  :-\

NinaH

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »

I am and I take continuous utrogestan without a problem. I feel better on than off!  Yes I did have erratic bleeding for a few months but it's all settled down now.

As for progesterone being more problematic re cancer - well, utrogestan is bio identical and about as safe as ANY drug is. Which is to say they all have risks associated. As do obesity, smoking, a sedentary life etc etc.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »

mummybetsy - welcome to MM

I think your GP was wise to start you on a sequential HRT. Erratic and problematic bleeding does usually occur in the early stages of using any conti HRT, however after 2 years of being free from periods you are deemed post meno so could have started conti HRT.   The other good reason to start with a sequential HRT, is because progesterone can sometimes give side effects - there are different ones to try - so by using a sequential regime you can tell if the oestrogen is really helping and can then see if any side effects are due to the progesterone.
I'd try the sequi HRT to see if it helps adn then switch to conduit later if you want.  Dg x

mummybetsy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »

Thank you for the welcome.  I guess I need to see if this formula works for me - if it does I guess I can ask about switching to conti version at my 3 month review.