Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spanish gynae v English gynae  (Read 4418 times)

paisley

Spanish gynae v English gynae
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »

I have lived in Spain for 6 years & yesterday was my first time seeing a Spanish gynae. I have had mammograms but haven't seen a gynae since living in UK Anyway was only going for some routine tests. First she asked me how was I. I then burst into tears & she just looked at me as though I was from another planet. Surely a gynae has seen other women in floods of tears, I can't be the only one. Then she said I might need a psychiatrist instead. I then i continued to tell her I had stopped my HRT last May to see how I could do without it. None of the HRTs have really worked but they were better than the emotional wreak I had become. She said in Spain we only give it for 5 years but seeing i came from England i coils have it longer. I just thought the lack of empathy  disheartening. I speak a little Spanish & she spoke a little English. Anyway she gave me this new HRT called Lenzetto. It is a spray that you don't rub in. I think it is similar to Evamist. I haven't got it yet. Has anyway had any experiences coming of Boron. I stopped Tuesday & it has given me awful anxiety & weepiness which May explain why I was so emotional at the gynaes. She looked about 20 as well. So all in all I think English gynaes are a bit more  understanding or maybe not.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
Re: Spanish gynae v English gynae
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »

From seeing one person ?
I also live in Spain & my lady is very understanding. She gave me hrt when the gp was scripting only 'natural' products, which made me worse.
Luck of the draw I think, maybe see someone else.

We do have the advantage of buying what we like over the counter.

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »

Hi paisley I so wish I was back in Spain sometimes I found the whole medical system there much more user friendly and tests were done there and then at my particular gps clinic and results handed back within 20 mins to then go and discuss with gp at same appointment ,so different rather than like now I'm waiting weeks for referrals then when they come through it's for dates weeks or months away then wait for test results and it just goes on and on I never experienced that at all in Spain.
As Suziq says I'd try another youve just been unlucky.good luck xx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »

Sorry to hear this paisley.

I've not come across Boron except that it is an element in the periodic table! If you mean that you were taking this element, I can't think that would have any effect on how you feel provided you have sufficient in the diet as with all minerals.

The HRT spray sounds interesting. I've looked it up and yes I see it is sold under various different names (including Evamist) - not available in this country - but much easier than patches and gel!

I presume you have either had a hysterectomy or if not, that you are taking the mini-pill or have the Mirena coil or have been given a progestogen to take to protect the womb?

I would go for it - subject to the above - and we would be very interested to hear how you feel as this is a novel method of getting oestrogen!

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »

Paisley, that spray sounds very interesting, I will try and buy some.

Re gynaecologists, it's difficult to say because it depends which system you are in.  I have never used the state health system in Spain only a private clinic through my health insurance which is completely different - as you know, it is a two tier system in Spain and the two are completely separate.  The clinic I use is very good with all the very latest equipment and all the gynaecologists do the transvaginal scans themselves.  Mammograms are always followed with an immediate ultrasound scan so you don't have to wait for results or you can just opt for the breast scan and you can have as many blood tests as you like.  Nobody ever said anything to me about only being able to take HRT for 5 years but as suziq99 said, you can buy HRT over the counter in Spain anyway so it's less of a problem.

I would definitely give that spray a try, it sounds very interesting and hopefully you will notice a difference. 

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »

Mary G will you let me know if you get any.I used clinico centra in Spain which is private but very much like walking onto a gp in the U.K. years ago and a sit and wait no appointments necessary system.All scans etc done in house with immediate results we used to pay an annual fee of around 300 euros a couple but for that you got a mot ( bloods ecg etc) yearly and as many consultations with gp as necessary and referrals if required.I still go back to my old haunts so would be interesting to pop into pharmacist and see if I can get what I need otc instead of paying a fortune privately here and fighting battle after battle with people who really have no bloody interest in my health.im going over in may but if you have any luck before then acquiring spray drop me a pm please xx

paisley

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies & yes you are right there are other gynaes out there to try. I think because I was just feeling over emotional that day it got to me plus I had a breast examination & she found a tiny movable nobule which freaked me out. Strange I stopped HRT last May had a mammogram last May which was fine. She is sending me for an ultrasound next week & she didn't seem worried by it. Yes it is good here as I too have private insurance here in Spain & things are quick. i got a gynae appointment in one day. My husband has had scan appointments in just a week. When I have to take my 10 year old son he is seen within 10 mind, an X-Ray done & results there. when I had a mammogram last year on the NHS in Spain they were really good too & told me straight away that everything was ok.
Yes Hurdity I had a hysterectomy in 2011 with everything removed. I think I will give the spray a go as haven't used that one yet. Thanks again everyone xx

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »

Well done paisley I'm really pleased for you that you've managed to get your head together so quickly this menopause stuff is so draining and it's great to be able to bounce things off other people on here just to get a perspective and then you can rationalise things in your head.good luck with the spray and do keep us updated on your trial with it it's very interested no when we hear of new options take care xx

paisley

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »

Thanks Daisydot
I hope you are doing ok. You are right it is so good to talk to like minded ladies who understand. With the meno you don't know from one day to the next how you are going to feel. Xx

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »

Hi paisley I'm doing ok on my treatment plan but I've had to fight like hell to get it and it's difficult I don't like confrontation and I've gotten much quieter and shyer over the years,it's funny because I'll fight like hell for my family if I think somethings not right but I turn into my alter ego when it's myself and have no inner strength with these gps.lol.
Thankfully I have a lovely private consultant who agrees with my treatment regime and is backing me in my battle with gp but it's ongoing.all I take now is Oestrogel, back on one squirt,and vagifem,now every third night and use lubrication like vagisil prohydrate daily along with vit d3 and k2 and multi b vitamins and it's all doing what I need it to do,no more Uti symptoms.good luck and keep plodding away you'll have good and bad days like us all just accept them for what they are”blips” and you'll cope a lot better.xx
Ps are you originally from paisley??

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »

paisley, have you picked up your Lenzetto yet?  From what I have managed to find out today, it is brand new in Spain and not properly on their database yet but I do know it costs €10.92.  Apparently it is stronger than Oestrogel and recommended for women who have had a hysterectomy so that bodes well!

It would be great if you could start a new thread charting your progress.  There must be so many women who would like to know more about this product. 

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »

Thank you Maryg I'll have the hold weighted down with it if I find it next time I'm out there 😂😂 and vagifem and estriol cream 😂😂xx

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:56:57 PM »

I had a consultation with the pharmacist today and picked up my Lenzetto this evening.  He offered me a free bone scan so that was an added bonus!

I am going to finish my current tube of Oestrogel and then start the Lenzetto.  It comes in a very compact container so very easy to carry around and no need to rub it in either so it seems very user friendly. 

paisley, thanks so much for the information on this interesting new product, let's hope it works!  Have you started it yet? 

Daisydot

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »

That's fabulous MaryG I'm so pleased for you and fingers crossed the spray is better,can you buy vagifem pessaries or estriol cream otc ,I feel an early flight coming up 😂we had a great knowledgeable pharmacist in Spain in our local chemist wish I had him here now lol.but well worth a flying visit when weather improves a bit,I'm also going to try the pharmacist in Amsterdam next month when I do my coach tour.well done ladies great info many thanks for sharing xx

Mary G

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »

Thanks Daisydot and as you say, it's great that we can share information about new products on here.  You can get Ovestin but I'm not sure about the other products you mentioned but I can ask. 
Pages: [1] 2