Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hot flush or sweats  (Read 2405 times)

Js

Hot flush or sweats
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

Can anyone tell me how to cope with hot flushes or night sweats I have come off of hrt as been on It nearly 10 years and I can say that they definately helped with the hot flushes but now I am getting them during the day and night and I'm trying to cope but can anyone tell me if green tea helps reduce them as I have read that it does I don't want to take vitamin tablets as not good at taking tablets anyway any advice please ladies

Js

Dotty

Re: Hot flush or sweats
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »

Go back on hrt. There is no time limit on how long you can take it.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »

Sorry but nothing helps with hot flushes and night sweats apart from oestrogen replacement. 

I agree with Dotty, there is no time limit for HRT so why not go back on it if it was working before?  Life's too short to put up with stuff like that.

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »

I'm a lot worse if I drink hot drinks, especially ones with caffeine.  And I love my tea  :'(

Keeping slightly chilly helps too.  Everyone's been going round in jumpers today and I've been in a t-shirt and freezing but at least its reduced the flushes!

Js

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »

Hi ladies

Thanks for your replies but the longer your on hrt the higher the risk of cancer so that's why I came off it but if I find the hot flushes Intolerable then I might consider going  back on it I am 59 so don't know how long I've got to put up with menopause symptoms but as you say I shouldn't have to suffer and loose sleep because the hot flushes do interupt my sleep it is difficult to know what to,wear for me because I have Reynaulds syndrome and have bad circulation so keeping warm is essential really but then I get too hot with the flushes so I can't win anyway

I've been off hrt since October so I will have a chat to my meno nurse and see what she says but the trouble is they leave it to you nowadays to make the decision which is good in a way but really helpful

Js

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »

Hi Js - I'm in my mid 60's and have been taking HRT for 11 years - health permitting I don't intend to come off it (well not for a while anyway). Are you at particular risk from cancer - eg breast cancer due to close family members? You can minimise your overall cancer risk by maintaining normal BMI ( losing excess fat), taking at least the recommended amount of exercise per week, limiting alcohol, stopping smoking if necessary and eating a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg and few processed foods. I follow this approach and cotninue with HRT. I also take the most natural HRT possilbe - transdermal oestrogen patches and vaginal progesterone so nothing has to go through the liver before getting into my body. The information on this website approximates the average risk at different decades and under 60 the benefits of HRT are thought to be greater than the risks if you are expeirnecing symptoms. Up to 70 the risks are thought to be equal  and only over 70 do the risks exceed the benefits ( on average).
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Really no need to suffer as the others have said.... what type of HRT were you taking? Perhaps now is the time to start a different type at a lower dose and see if that controls your symptoms?

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »

it is difficult to know what to,wear for me because I have Reynaulds syndrome and have bad circulation so keeping warm is essential really but then I get too hot with the flushes so I can't win anyway

Can you wrap bits of you up instead of all-over layers?  I've been known to go to bed with a shawl wrapped round my tummy, woolly socks on my feet and hands and the rest of me out of the covers!

wombat62

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »

Hi

I get cold hands and feet and generally feel the cold so the hot flushes at night are such a pain as when going through a bad patch I'm constantly covers off and on!

You may do your body more harm by lack of sleep than taking transdermal low dose HRT. They also say that alcohol and is possibly more of a high risk factor as well, which is worrying considering how much the youngsters seem to drink these days!

I had to see a gynae years ago, an older guy who surprised me when he said he had no issue with ladies staying on HRT forever as long as they took into account the risks and had all their check-ups.

Isn't Duavive less risk as it's not got progesterone in it which is supposed to be the stuff which causes the risk?

Js... I drink loads of green tea, doesn't make any difference! Seems anything herbal will help for a short while but they need to invent a non-hormonal drug that works on our thermostats! Surely some scientist could come up with something, there are a lot of hot flushes out there so it's not as if there isn't a market for it, they will make their money back!

Js

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »

Hi dotty, wombat62,hurdity,Dorothy,and Mary g

Thanks for all your replies I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, I'm not over weight and my mum died of lung cancer so I don't think i am at risk and I do get my screening for breast cancer and smear test so I hope I'm not in a risk category so I'm seeing my doctor next month for a review on the medication that I'm taking for migraines so will have a chat to,her and I might go back on evorel conti patches which is what i was on I didn't have a problem with them sticking and worked for me I don't like taking tablets ,and as you say it's good for other things i,e heart and bones , but how do you know if you are Post meno if I didn't come off and as being I'm still getting flushes and sweats I assume i am not post meno yet
Wombat62 I liked your last paragraph about a scientist inventing something to stop the hot flushes they would make a fortune I would be the first in the cue

Thanks again for support

Js

wombat62

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »

Hi

You are post when you've not had a period for a year over 50, however, hot flushes and sweats can continue forever for some .... :( I'm post and still getting hot and sweaty when my oestrogen runs low. I think for some years your hormones can still fluctuate as oestrogen can still be produced by the adrenals and also stomach fat, it's your bodies way of compensating but obviously it's not enough.

Anyone who doesn't get them is very lucky!