Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Question about utrogestan  (Read 931 times)

Nellie Noo

Question about utrogestan
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »

I am right in thinking that the utrogestan that some ladies use is a tablet that is prescibed for oral use but some ladies use it vaginally ? Just want to check that there isnt a separate utrogestan pessary ? I have recently been prescribed oestrogel and  utrogestan and am to take 2 tablets orally on days 15 to 28 . Forgive me for asking... but if there is no applicator do you just put the tablets in as far as you can into the vagina ?  Was quite pleased that the gp said that if i felt happy to , i could do four weeks on the gel, then 2 weeks on the tablets .. and see how it goes . Thanks for reading ladies .TIA x

Dotty

Re: Question about utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

You take the utrogestan tablets at the same time as the gel.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »

Yes Dotty .. thanks but ... Are the tablets ( meant for oral use ) the same as what ladies are using vaginally ? There isnt a separate product for vaginal use ..is there ? 9

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »

I think they are the same . But I'm not 100% sure .

Nellie Noo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »

I like the idea of putting progesterone where you need it most .. and gather by doing this there is  lesss problems . But really dont want to do something stupid .. ( i didnt want to ask the gp if case he hadnt heard of this and changed his mind about giving me ) x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »

Nellie Noo, the same capsule can he used orally or vaginally.  It's only the UK that doesn't licence Utrogestan to be used vaginally for some strange reason.  The boxes I buy in Spain all clearly state that the same capsule can be used either orally or vaginally - make sure you place the capsule next to your cervix.  It works better when used vaginally because it is targetted and more of it reaches the womb.  It also has fewer side effects. 

Nellie Noo

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »

Thank you Mary G ! So literally, and excuse me if this sounds ridiculous or ignorant ... i place the tiny tablets as far in with my fingers as possible ...??
How does it work with vagifem ? Do i still take the vagifem alongside the utrogestan ?  Sorry ...this is all new to me .... x

racjen

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »

YEs definitely with the utrogestan - because they're a gel capsule they work in any orifice...! You just push them up your vagina as far as they'll go, I've never had any problem with that. Sorry can't help with the vagifem as have never used it.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »

Thank you racjen  :) when your not feeling great and your brain has turned to a foggy mess .. its so easy to misunderstand . I just needed to be clear that these tablets were the ones you could use vaginally. Thank you ladies .. id be lost without this site ! X

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »

Hi there Nellie Noo - as the others have said. Also those damn tiny round balls are a right pain to poke up! There used to be a 200 mg oval capsule for hRT but they stopped doing it - or should I say they stopped producing the packet with the right info in it. There is still a 200 mg version available but it's prescribe for fertility so you could possibily ask for that one instead - I know some women on here get this one? I might also ask for it next time I go for my review.

Re the Vagifem - I just do the Utro vag at night and then the Vagifem approx 12 hours later - some time in the morning when I remember. The tablet is designed to stick to the vaginal wall so unless you do an aerobics class straight after it should stay attached OK! :)

Hurdity x

Nellie Noo

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »

Thank you ! Feel much better now about using it vaginally. Heres hoping it suits me . Thank you x