Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bio identical hormones  (Read 3555 times)

Taz2

Re: Bio identical hormones
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »

Hi Taz
Yes I think the combined HRT did attribute to a rise in breast cancer figures but that's the synthetic route rather than these bio identicals? It's all very confusing lol x
The Tibolone definitely don't suit me and still had all the hot flushes etc plus put on about 18lbs in about 6 months which I'm finding hard to shift now x x x

You're right about it being confusing especially since I've been looking at the sites dealing with HRT after hysterectomy for endo! I now know why you were prescribed Tibolone though  :).  I managed to find this in my bookmarks - takes me a while - which gives the BMS take on combined HRT and breast cancer https://thebms.org.uk/2016/08/breast-cancer-now-study-finds-effect-combined-hrt-breast-cancer-risk-likely-underestimated/   again.. confusing!

Taz  x  :)

Hetty2018

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »

Taz I'm sure by the end of all this we will all be a lot more educated and informed on all things menopause related than a lot of our gps  🙈
I totally appreciated my GP not having the answers I desperately needed it was the blanket approach of Just take this and have some sleeping tablets and anti depressants... 😞 one of the gps actually said to me.... “you may just have to accept this is your life now and you will never feel any better” which I thought was encouraging 🙀🙄
They should just refer to a menopause clinic if they are not sure.. but then again anti depressants are super cheap to prescribe and try and shut us up 🤔

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

Thanks Annie I really appreciate your help.. I had read elsewhere that the progesterone can act as a protection against being oestrogen dominance with regards to my endo.. hopefully this will be the solution i was looking for.. 1st night tonight with the new regime so fingers crossed 🤞 thanks again x x ❤️

Hi again Hetty

Of course - Annie0710 is absolutely right! I had missed the bit about endometriosis and latched onto the progesterone issue and oestrogen dominance.  Was in too much of a hurry as I always am these days - sorry! That is exactly it re residual depoits - here is the info from this website:

Endometriosis   
    There is a small risk of reactivation of endometriosis with HRT use and any recurrence of symptoms should be reported. If a hysterectomy has been performed for endometriosis, the choice of HRT use thereafter should be influenced by the extent of endometriosis at the time of the operation. Since hysterectomy often causes a premature menopause, it is often advised to take HRT until the average age of the menopause; 51 years. HRT after hysterectomy usually consists of estrogen only. However, in the presence of endometriosis, estrogen may cause stimulation of residual deposits and consideration should be given to using continuous combined (estrogen plus daily progestogen) therapy, or tibolone, though little research has been done on the effect of different types and duration of therapy. Medical treatment of endometriosis often involves ovarian suppression which, along with ovarian removal, may increase the risk of osteoporosis.

That being the case you will need to take a progestogen all the time - unless it can be established that you are free from deposits? If so best to take one of the synthetic ones unless you feel OK on 100 mg daily progesterone? It's not a question of oestrogen dominance - it needs to be taken by women with endometriosis for the same reason that it is taken to protect the womb ie oestrogen stimulates the womb lining - and the endometrial deposits are the same tissue ie the progesterone spcifically targets thes tissues - so not a question of general balance nor oestrogen dominance - but a specific clinical reason if you see what I mean?

Did you keep your ovaries or were these removed? If you kept them then you may not need testosterone yet as you are still young but be guided by symptoms such as low libido, muscle aches and pains, fatigue etc with no other cause.

Hurdityx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »

As always, sensible words from Hurdity.  Her science background gives well informed advice - I have learned so much from her posts.

If only we were all given good lessons on not just puberty but also the menopause, as part of our biology lessons, this time in our lives would not be such a mine field. Boys need to know all this as well!!!???

Of course there is a place for ADs/SSRIs but I , like many others, am extremely worried that GPs rush to prescribe these as a first line treatment, without fully informing the patient of the side effects or fully assessing whether this is the right route to take. It's the old fashioned approach of ‘let's cosh them, to keep them quiet'. 
As a short term trial to help someone get over a difficult time with a true depression, crippling anxiety or for pain management, then fine, but how many people are sent away with a prescription for an AD having been given the full implications explained to them? Initial side effects can be severe, withdrawal symptoms take many weeks or months and I am particularly worried about the long term effects for those that find they become dependent on these drugs?

I know that the right SSRI can be very helpful for those poor women who can't take HRT for health reasons but it is about time they did some research to find some other alternatives.

I was prescribed Prozac in my mid 30s (going through very difficult time with my son being diagnosed with developmental problems) but my local pharmacist was very responsible and, knowing I had small children, told me he thought it unwise for me to take them due to the side effects - I was doing busy school runs carrying both my children and friends children to and from various schools and he said I might not be fit to drive.  I opted not to take the Prozac and stuck with the counselling - I will be eternally grateful to that pharmacist. 
I was then advised, last year, to use Amitriptyline (just the lowest dose of 10mg) to ease pain in my lower back, hips and sciatica. It did reduce the nerve pain but, by week three, I was a hyper wreck, with a horrid dry mouth and awful headaches - it took 3-4 weeks for these side effects to wear off when I stopped them.  I dread to think what is would be like to come off a higher dose!!!!!
In the end I paid to see a rheumatologist privately, I had scan and X Ray and the problem was identified - he gave me a steroid injection in my spine which has worked wonders (injection took 10 mins).  It will never be perfect as I have deterioration of L3-L4 vertebrae but the GP should have referred me, not dished out drugs that were just to keep me quiet. I now know what the problem is and I can manage it better - if it gets worse again I know I can have another injection that will relieve the pain for quite some time and won't give me side effects. Why did I have to pay for the appropriate treatment???

I know ADS/SSRIs are trial and error, before you find something that works well for you, and for many people they are a life line, BUT - the GPs really must explain why they prescribe them and what effects they may have both short and long term. 
RANT OVER. DG x

Hetty2018

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »

Thanks Huridity
I had my ovaries removed ... will give the T gel a go when I can get my hands on some as all the pharmacies locally are out of stock and there is a delay from the manufacturer 😫 I've asked my GP for an alternative to the Testim so am awaiting a reply.
I've started with the 100mg of Progesterone of an evening.. what adverse affects to ladies complain of with the Progesterone so I can watch out for them... I do feel like a bit of a guinea pig really so any advice is greatly appreciated xxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 04:51:18 PM »

I slept really well on progesterone but did have vivid dreams , no other side effects x
Pages: 1 [2]