Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help gone from health and happy to a complete wreck  (Read 2055 times)

Mrsjaffa

Help gone from health and happy to a complete wreck
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this and this is my first post and am going to spend time every day reading.  I am 51 and have been put on Elleste Duet 1 mg by my doctor for the last 8 months.  I have also been prescribed anti depressants, pregablin and painkillers non of which I am taking as they have tried to tell me I also have fibromyalgia as well as menopause. It is true I ache from head to foot, am totally washed out from sleeplessness nights and I have absolutely zero sex drive which my husband is finding difficult it's like the switch is off permanently.  In the last 2 months the hot flushes are back and I have been spotting non stop for six weeks but not had a period for over a year. I have been referred for an ultrasound to check why I am spotting and doc won't change anything until I've had it which is fair enough.  In the meantime I just feel so low, tearful, tired I don't know what to do with myself.  I am not overweight and was quite fit but just lately everything seems such any effort.  Can anyone relate to this please and any advice from anyone as don't know what to do?  Thank you so much to everyone on here as reading some inspirational stories does help xxx

Dotty

Re: Help gone from health and happy to a complete wreck
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »

Hi sounds like you need a higher dose or a different type of hrt x

aspie65

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »

Oh I hear you, I am supposedly diagnosed with CFS and fibromyalgia but strongly suspect both are menopausal symptoms at heart.  I had to change HRT recently and am struggling to get the dosage right and life seems very hard and unfair at the moment.  I take an anti depressant and pregabalin.  I have to say the latter has been a life saver for me.  I take 75mg at night (which is a very small dose as you can take up to 600mg a day) and it really helps me sleep.  I can also top this up with an extra 25mg as and when I need it.  Since taking it I have slept better, ached less and generally felt more able to cope with the physical symptoms of the menopause ie the hot flushes.  I have had no side effects from pregabalin either and am a big fan of it.

Get checked out and then maybe consider the oestrogel/utrogestan combo as these are apparently the least harmful long term and you can adjust your dosage easily to suit your needs. 

Mrsjaffa

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

Hiya thank you am hoping to up/change the dose and never thought of trying the pregablin at night to help sleep will give it a go this weekend and see if it helps  :)

aspie65

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »

Good to hear.  Pregabalin is fine for long term use with no real downside and I am sad it isn't more frequently prescribed.

Abba Fan

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »

Good to hear.  Pregabalin is fine for long term use with no real downside and I am sad it isn't more frequently prescribed.

Pregablin is not fine for long term use, it's highly addictive and very hard to withdraw from.  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/pregabalin-new-valium-doctors-call-restricted-sharp-rise-abuse-misuse-prisons-addiction-bma-yasir-a7817601.html

aspie65

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »

That article is discussing very high doses and it's misuse by some people, not low doses with supervised medical care.  It is physically non addictive but can by psychologically addictive, as with any drug.  It is used in epilepsy patients for the long term with no physical down side.  This latest witch hunt is triggered by recreational users and is just calling for tighter controls and shouldn't be cited to put off people who could really benefit from it.

Mrsjaffa

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »

That article is discussing very high doses and it's misuse by some people, not low doses with supervised medical care.  It is physically non addictive but can by psychologically addictive, as with any drug.  It is used in epilepsy patients for the long term with no physical down side.  This latest witch hunt is triggered by recreational users and is just calling for tighter controls and shouldn't be cited to put off people who could really benefit from it.

Hiya I have read lots on it and am going to try anyway and let you know how I go, as you say very high doses could cause issues but I have 75mg like you so if it helps am giving it a go! Thank you again  :)

Cazikins

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »

Just a word of warning here.

I don't think it is a good idea to say that it is OK to take Pregabalin long term, I mean we do not know what other meds Mrsjaffa may be  taking, or her full medical history. It could contradict with other meds/medical problems she may have.

Whilst it is great that we share our own experiences with things - it is just that. Our experience within Our body & Our medical condition & no one elses.

Cazi x

P.S.Mrsjaffa just posted, so most of above probably not an issue now... :-\ :-\

aspie65

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

But her doctor prescribed it so it must be okay for her?!?

Mrsjaffa

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »

Hello you are all amazing with your advice thank you so much 😊 I only take the elleste duet 1mg and yes my doc and rheumatologist prescribed the pregablin but have been weary to take as not convinced  of fibromyalgia diagnosis as think it's all down to the menopausal symptoms, however if it helps will give it a try! My doc regularly reviews my meds with me so any problems I will let them know.

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »

Yes you are correct aspie65.

I suppose what I am trying to point out is that if anyone was reading quickly through the thread for info about pregabalin, they may zone in to your statement about Pregabalin being fine for long term use with no real downside etc, & take it literally with possible dire consequences.