Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT manufacturing problems!  (Read 4282 times)

Fimble

HRT manufacturing problems!
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »

Hello ladies
I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same problems as me in having their HRT discontinued? I started on Prempak C 1.25 in April 2016 and felt quite well for a year before this was discontinued. My GP then prescribed Femoston 1mg, I took this for 3 months but it didn't control my symptoms very well so asked for Femoston 2mg. After trying several pharmacies I was told there was a manufacturing problem with it so got a prescription for Elleste Duet 2mg. I have been taking this for 5 months and start my last packet tomorrow, I cannot collect the rest of my prescription for the next few months as there is a manufacturing problem would you believe!
As well as this, I am having a Mirena fitted in February to help alleviate very heavy and painful periods due to Fibroids. I have been told that as this releases progestogen I can be prescribed a different HRT.
Before I see my GP next week I thought I would ask on the forum as it seems there are lots of knowledgeable ladies here.
I apologise for going on but I have had to take several urine samples for dip testing as I have blood in my urine but the GP is not convinced that it's a water infection, also my lowest blood pressure reading a couple of weeks ago was 168/98.
Any advice would be gratefully received, and finally I wish you all a happy and healthy new year! Xx

Stillsearching

Re: HRT manufacturing problems!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »

Hi Fimble,

I had a mirena coil fitted to deal with heavy and prolonged periods. It took a few months for the bleeding to stop totally. When I started HRT later it was oestrogen only. I started with Climaval 1mg then Climaval 2mg. The coil has to be removed after 4 years so I chose not to have it replaced but to go on to a combined pill which has taken a while to sort out. I have not had any problems with my HRT being discontinued, other than I have recently started testosterone which is no longer supplied for use in women. My blood pressure is low so that wasn't an issue. Was your 168/98 reading done at the doctors? My husband gets higher readings than that due to white coat syndrome but he monitors his at home and it's fine.

When you have the mirena fitted take some painkillers before you go just to help stop the cramp. It's a very quick easy procedure but there's no reason to feel uncomfortable if you don't have to.

Butterfly22

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »

I've had this problem, I was on nuvelle for ten years and was discontinued it took four years to settle on premique then discountined! It's so annoying. Xx

wombat62

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »

Hi

We've had some manufacturing issues with combi patches in Oz, has been going on for a year now but fingers crossed we'll be okay now. Unfortunately we didn't have any patch alternatives which was very annoying!

I think the UK went though a period of short supplies for some hrt's a few months back! Very silly of companies to deny hormonal women their hormones, not good for anyone!!

Re blood pressure, I now have white coat syndrome, BP is fine at home and fairly low but get me in the docs and it shoots up! Luckily doc was happy to take my readings!

Hope you get sorted out soon!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »

Fimble - hi and welcome to MM

Once you have the Mirena in place you will only need oestrogen alongside.  The Mirena should shrink and control fibroids well and most women find they eventually have no bleeding at all - which is fab. The Oestrogen can be delivered orally with pills but many prefer to use patches or Oestrogel. The beauty of the Oestrogel is that you can adjust the dose to your needs - so start low on 1-2 pumps per day (applied to inner thighs) and then after 3-4 weeks, if flushes are not under control, you can gradually increase over several weeks till you find you have the dose level that works.
As using oestrogen transdermally by patch or gel works better than pills, you may find that 2 pumps of gel or a 50mg patch will be sufficient.

Blood pressure can be helped with lifestyle changes - good diet -  eat small amounts often and make these meals low in fat and sugar, get plenty of good exercise (brisk walking or swimming for 30-60 minutes a day is great) and doing some good relaxation techniques to balance things better and reduce stress. Having tried all this, then, if pressure is still high, the GP should be able to prescribe something to lower blood pressure. I bet your pressure is up because you are uncomfortable with the meno and UTI symptoms. 

I have blood in my urine almost constantly - this is usually because of urogenital  atrophy and you need to have some local oestrogen e.g. Vagifem, to help this. Use vaginal moisturisers to keep the flora balance good  - SYLK or the YES products are the best.  Multi Gyn ACtigel can also be used when feeling sore or itchy to help rebalance things.  All these products can be bought online.  Avoid fruit juices, caffeine and alcohol but drink plenty of water. 
Hope appointment goes well.  DG x

Fimble

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice! I hadn't thought of anything other than HRT in tablet form and will speak to my GP about gel or patches. I have never suffered hot flushes, but my symptoms include wobbly legs and fuzzy ears.
Hopefully once my Mirena is fitted and the doctor diagnoses the blood in urine thing then things will improve! Interesting to hear how many people have high bp readings at the doctors too, hopefully that's the case with me.
Thank you again xx

Fimble

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »

Hi Ladies
I would really appreciate some more advice please: further to my above post, I have seen my GP who prescribed Oestrogel (he was happy that I had sought advice on this forum) and also referred me for a Cystoscopy, scan and x-ray which I have a week tomorrow.
I finish my last packet of Elleste 2mg a week today and wondered if I should start using the gel the following day, I don't have my Mirena until the 7th February so will be without progesterone for 10 days, how will this affect me?
I'm hoping that once I find out about the blood in urine thing and I'm on the coil and Oestrgel that I will feel better as I feel tired and out of sorts most days.
Thank you x

Fimble

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 07:27:48 PM »

BUMP

Optimist

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 07:35:42 PM »

Hi fimble I did 2 weeks oestrogen only over Christmas after being on a conti regime to see if it would stop some nasty problems I was having and it did.
I didn't have any major bleeding just slight spotting.
I'm sure it would be okay but hoping others will be along to advise soon x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »

fimble
You should be able to start the Oestrogel soon after finishing the Elleste - your oestegn level should not drop too quickly so perhaps allow a couple of days, start the Oestrogel and it should be fine if you have the Mirena fitted a few days later. You may get some bleeding or spotting for the first few weeks after it's fitted but that should settle.
The blood in the urine is common when meno hits and some local oestrogen may be a good idea alongside the Oestrogel.  Good to have bladder etc checked though.
It will take time before you start to feel better - eat well, try to get some exercise and do some relaxation techniques. Be patient.
DG x
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:14:02 PM by Dancinggirl »

Fimble

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »

Thank you both, this forum is so helpful, I recommend it to everyone! Xx