Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Antidepressant question  (Read 1322 times)

Janetilett

Antidepressant question
« on: December 23, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »

Hello. I am new to this website and I know it's going to be a massive help to me.
Due to a blood clot during pregnancy, my doctor told me HRT is not recommended for my mood swings, so they have prescribed anti depressants.
If I only have 2 or 3 very low days each month, should I take anti depressants or hold off and put up with the few low days?
What do you think?
Janet

Dancinggirl

Re: Antidepressant question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Janetilett

It sounds to me as though you are simply getting typical peri meno type ‘low mood'.  Does this happen at particularly times?

To prescribe ADs if you only suffer 2-3 days of low mood per month is perhaps not the best way forward. I assume you are still peri meno and get periods? Are these periods erratic? The peri stage can be tough!!
My GP recommend CBT type relaxation(Mindful Meditation) and tackling lifestyle choices first before moving to ADs/SRRIs.
Is there a pattern to your low mood phases? Are they triggered by anything? Can you develop strategies that help you through these phases?
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »

Do you find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful?  Maybe take the ADs as prescribed for 2-3 months and see if they help ease symptoms?  That will give you breathing space to decide if HRT may be a way to go, when was your pregnancy for example?   Your GP could refer you to the appropriate Hospital Consultant in the New Year or you could take advantage of paying for a short e-mail to Dr Currie for advice. 

How is your diet overall?   Try eating every 3 hours as it can ease anxiety surges.  That is, every 3 hours 24/7 ;-).

Yoga.  Brisk walking.  Swimming.  These may ease those occasional low moods ........ how do they affect you, weepyness, despair ?

racjen

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »

I think ADs are handed out way too easily - they definitely do help some people with significant mood disorders, but I wouldn't go down that route at this point. It's very hard to know how you'll react to any given medication and I think it's always better to err on the side of caution because in a few cases they can make things worse. If it were me I'd be inclined to put up with a few days of low mood for the moment. And maybe get a second opinion about the HRT - I have no knowledge of this particular problem, but GPs are generally so shockingly ignorant about this area it might be worth double checking that that really is the case.

Janetilett

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »

Thank you for your replies.
I haven't had a period for nearly a year (I have had 2 very light bleeds for a couple of weeks during that time) but not what you'd call a period. There is no regularity to the mood swings.
I have started to keep a mood diary. Some days I'm not obviously mad/sad just a bit low (not usual for me) so it seems it's not always extreme. I do cry more easily than I used to.
I don't want to go out or do anything. That's not like me either. I can't get motivated. I don't want to go to work (and I love my job)
I still am undecided if I should take the anti depressants or not.

Samade

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »

I think it depends on just how much it impacts. When you're in a low how desperate do you feel or whether you're down but can tell yourself if won't last.
My downs would only last 3 or 4 days but were the most awful thing. Telling myself they wouldn't last didn't help so I needed the antidepressant. I was anxious low not depressed low. Eventually I persuaded the consultant to let me have low dose HRT (I'd had a DVT) and the combination of the two works for me. Very occasionally I'll have a low spell now but a lot lot less than I did.
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »

Good post Samade -
Janetilett - It is quite normal to feel this way when meno hits and, as Samade has said, using ADs will depend on how desperate you feel during these down times.  I'm afraid it is often about finding strategies for coping with this until you regain some confidence.  Mindful Meditation, plenty of exercise e.g. brisk walking, can really help.
ADs can help but they can also bring unwanted side effects and make you feel detached or numb. Having said this, many find ADs work wonders and they get their life back but it can take a few weeks for things to improve. 
HRT should still be an option - one clot during pregnancy may not be a good enough reason for not trying hormones. A referral to a meno clinic or gynae might be a good idea. DG x