Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Progesterone injections  (Read 1525 times)

am#

Progesterone injections
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »

I have been to gynae today for results of biopsy due to heavy bleeding and he has put me on Progesterone , i'm to have an injection every 3 months , then another biopsy after 5 months , i have an appointment for the injection tomorrow and i'm ging away for 5 days over weekend for a break am i likely to get and nasty side effects that would mean i'm better to wait and have the injection when i'm home ?

diagnosis of my biopsy was no malignant cells were found but need treatment  , i live abroad so i'm going to look up exactly what my diagnosis was in English , and do some reading  .

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone injections
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

Hi am#

Did you go for the injection in the end? It's a busy time of year so not so many of us posting so often - too much to do! Did you manage to translate the diagnosis? Looking back at your profile I presume you are peri-menopausal with periods coming now and again? Sometimes there are cycles where ovulation does not take place and the womb lining can build up leading to heavy bleeding - even without ovulation or after you do next ovulate and have a proper period. There are various treatments for this but it seems the country you live treats with a progesterone injection. I'm not familiar with these and how it can work when only given every 3 months? If you look at the menu here https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php  it gives all the different treatments for bleeding of which progesterone is one. Some docs give a course of progestogen tablets eg norethisterone which will gradually think the lining and cause it to shed.

Hopefully you will feel OK for your break and the holiday will take your mind off any bleeding problems and side effects!

Hurdity x

am#

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »

Hi am#

Did you go for the injection in the end? It's a busy time of year so not so many of us posting so often - too much to do! Did you manage to translate the diagnosis? Looking back at your profile I presume you are peri-menopausal with periods coming now and again? Sometimes there are cycles where ovulation does not take place and the womb lining can build up leading to heavy bleeding - even without ovulation or after you do next ovulate and have a proper period. There are various treatments for this but it seems the country you live treats with a progesterone injection. I'm not familiar with these and how it can work when only given every 3 months? If you look at the menu here https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php  it gives all the different treatments for bleeding of which progesterone is one. Some docs give a course of progestogen tablets eg norethisterone which will gradually think the lining and cause it to shed.

Hopefully you will feel OK for your break and the holiday will take your mind off any bleeding problems and side effects!

Hurdity x
Thanks for your replie Hurdity , sorry but not been on here atall over Christmas and New year and only just seen this , my diagnosis was  endomentrial hyperplasia with no atipia and nothing malignant , i had the progestogen injection before i went away a month ago and really not noticed any difference really , i think maybe my memory loss has improoved and now i feel fine but about 10 days ago everything was getting on top of me at work i was fine but coming home , housework , children etc was really getting me down but now this week i feel i can cope with it all . My period would have been due a few days ago but has not come , i have had less twinges than before the injection , but don't really know how the cells break up without a bleed or do they just go ? i have another biopsy in 4 months to see if treatment has worked , but from what i have read this could go on for quite a while .Has anyone else had similar problems ?
TIA xx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »

I understand the lining is generally reabsorbed after a course of a high dose progestogen - but some treatments mean the lining is shed through bleeding. If you are peri-menopausal then you won't bleed every month and also if the progestogen is long-lasting then this may prevent your periods anyway? Once your lining is back to the normal range of thickness, your periods are irregular and you are experiencing menopausal symptoms then maybe you would benefit from starting HRT? To prevent further heavy bleeding you could also have a Mirena coil fitted which delivers the progestogen directly to the uterus to keep it thin.

Hurdity x

am#

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:27:05 PM »

Yes still no bleed since 7 december , i am wondering how the progesterone can affect my weight , about 2 years ago i lost about 12 kilos , eating healthy and exercising , i felt much better for it i went from 74 kilos to 62, in the 2 years sometimes has gone up to 64 kilos due to holidays and it being to hot to exercise in summer where i live , but till now i have managed to loose it again could this change now ?