Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT and Itching  (Read 14430 times)

debra217

HRT and Itching
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Hi - I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I've been on Elleste Duet for around 5 months now and it has helped even out my moods as before going on I had a permanent "rage" it's also helped improve sleep and temperature.  BUT I have been extremely itchy all over body and in particular down below - esp when on the green pills. I'm thinking about changing as I believe this may be an allergy to something in the hrt.

Has anyone else experience this?
thanks
Deborah

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT and Itching
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »

Itchy skin is a common side effect with the meno generally and the progesterone phase of any HRT will often bring some issues - it's unlikely to be an allergy, it's just your body reacting to the progesterone hormones and you may get this with any progesterone - I did.   Even without HRT I have to cover myself in body moisturiser to sooth dry and itchy skin.
The itch around the lady parts will be vaginal atrophy and/or an imbalance of the vaginal flora - unfortunately systemic HRT doesn't always help with this, so you need some local oestrogen e.g. Vagifem (get this from GP) and also use vaginal moisturiser daily - the most popular are SYLK or the YES products, which you can buy online.  Multi Gyn Actigel is great if you feel really itchy and sore but I wouldn't use this constantly - I like to use SYLK every day after showering to keep everything comfortable and healthy. 

If this HRT is suiting you in most other ways, then I wouldn't be in a hurry to change as it might be out of the frying pan and into the fire. Dg x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »

I sometimes used to get itching all over the body when I was using Angeliq and it used to come on about an hour or two after taking the tablet.  In my case it was a reaction to the actual tablet itself and also a negative reaction to low oestrogen.  Since increasing my oestrogen levels the problem has completely disappeared. 

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »

Iam using multi gyn actigel and at the moment itching is driving me mad ,I am wondering if I should get something especially for it at the chemist, or go back to the Drs
I use vagifem and Tibolone, but still itching, had the Sylk or yes anything in it to stop the itching? or is it just a moisturiser?

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »

Yeah I'm having the same issues, itching everywhere but more so around my lady-bits - I found panty liners made it worse and I can't wait to remove my knicks at the end of the day lol !

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »

If itching continues despite using Multi Gyn for 2-3 days then it might be worth seeing the doctor to have a swab taken to see if there is infection.
Being careful not to use scented soaps or anything scented is also very important  don't wear tight trousers either - try to let the air get to your lady bits.
SYLK is a vaginal moisturiser - which can help generally. DG x

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »

The itching isn't constant and the gel does stop it, but it can start up again, maybe not using it often enough
Should I use it all the time several times  a day Going to Drs anyway to check when I can get an appointment

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »

I use SYLK a couple of times a day, use unscented, very thin panty Liners changed regularly. When I get a flare up of itchiness and soreness,  I use Multi Gyn 2-3 times a day for 2-3 days only.
For me it's a whole range of management strategies to keep things comfortable. I have cut out milk, fruit juices,  tea etc as well. If they took away my Vagifem I think I would go mad. DG x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

It might help to check if panty liners contain a deodoriser. Most of them do nowadays. I had problems a few years ago with itchiness and soreness during bleeds and it was the doc who mentioned deodorisers now used in sanitary products. I managed to find some which didn't contain it but can't remember which brand it was! Meno brain. This is a thread from a while back https://menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=33509.0

Taz x

Kate

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

Boots sell some called cottons and Waitrose do some called natracare both are good perfume,plastic and chlorine free

jaycee

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »

I looked in Boots and i couldnt find anything even the actigel, so in desperation i bought some vagisil from my local chemist,it seems to have done the trick,
I looked  online for Sylk and Yes,but couldnt believe how expensive they are,plus added postage
I will presevere with the vagisil for now, and some actigel i have left
I will still make an appointment with my Dr, as i have a review coming up anyway

jaycee

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »

Which is the best in anyone who has used them opinion, Sylk, or Yes,sent for a free sample of Sylk, if ok will ask Dr for some

Joaniepat

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:41:20 PM »

Hi Jaycee, in my opinion Sylk is very good. Yes do a variety of products, both water based or oil based. I have used Yes VM which is a water based one. It is good, but comes out of the tube a bit fast! I think Yes would also send samples. It's only my personal preference, but I prefer Sylk over Yes VM. I have never used any of the Yes oil based ones.

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »

*Joaniepat* thank you,i have sent for a sample of silk, I will look on the Yes website and see if I can get a sample there too

yriches65

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »

Hi All,

Currently on Estrogel and Progesterone...

Currently have itchying over body and scalp.... driving me mad.... lady bits are ok ....

Is this lack of Estrogen ???

Big Hugs

Yx
Pages: [1] 2