Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling low on Duavive could it settle?  (Read 3840 times)

Butterfly22

Feeling low on Duavive could it settle?
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »

This is basically my last chance of an HRT before I end up going in circles again trying ones I've tried.
My main symptoms for stopping other HRT was moods, acne,migraines, ME worse.
I'm 7 weeks in but feel so low, don't quite feel myself but as also have depression it's hard to no what's going on, over the past couple of years I've been on venlafaxine for the depression and been fine.
I just feel so lost and low and feel like crying all the time, everything seems to overwhelm me.
Can anyone help xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling low on Duavive could it settle?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »

Would it help to increase the dose of your AD?   I self medication to a certain degree in that, if my brain feels low for more than 3/4 mornings in a row, I up my dose for 5-6 days. 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »

Hi Butterfly98

I know you've struggled and I can't remember why you decided to try this one? The thing is, Duavive is quite a low dose of oestrogen so that in itself could well be responsible for your lowered mood? It does sound like you need more oestrogen - so perhaps it's a question of trying one that you've tried before but makes you feel better for more of the time than the others. I can't remember now whether you've tried cyclical HRT types recently or just continuous combined - or whether you have to have conti HRT because of something like endometriosis?

Do not despair - but as you are still young I would still try to get the right dose/type of HRT before thinking about upping the ADs - I'm not sure whether that dose of oestrogen is protective against osteoporosis but I have a feeling that the Bazedoxifene component has a protective effect? I don't know much about it - just read a little.

:bighug:

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »

Thanks fot the answers ladies, I can't up my ADs anyway as on max dose 150mg venlafaxine.
I think you right Hurdity it may be the oestrogen, I think it may be another case of keep on trying 😩
I'm getting so fed up, and so confused I was trying to look at other HRT and cam across a site early menopause.com and that's confused me as loads of HRT on there I've never heard of unless it's just different names.
So I need to check the dose of oestrogen I'm on and look for something higher? Least if I start there it's something that narrows it all down.
I'm not getting hot flushes but sweating a lot like after a hot flush.
Thanks once again to you both for your advice xxx

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »

Just a thought if it is maybe the estrogen too low could I add a HRT pessarie? Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »

Hi again Butterfly98 - sorry you didn't get an answer - have been busy over the weekend and I don't think anyone saw your question or was able to answer.

Firstly oestrogen pessaries (ie Vagifem) are local oestrogen preparations desgined to treat vaginal atrophy and very little is absorbed. They are not designed to increase systemic oestrogen levels. You may well benefit from using these anyway though if you are dry etc down there?

Secondly absolutely do not add any other form of oestrogen to Duavive. The doses have been worked out to ensure the womb is protected and also there are no long term data either for this new preparation so you could risk endometrial thickening if you add oestrogen - unless your consultant decides this is OK and monitors your uterus.

I can't remember why you are on continuous combined HRT - was it due to endometriosis or you just prefer not to have a bleed?

It really does sound to me like you need to increase oestrogen. Do you have any records of the other ones you've tried and how you felt and could you go back to a cyclical regime (ie and have withdrawal bleed)?

Could it be that the dose of Ven... is actually too high? I don't know about these drugs but I know that some actually have a depressive effect - opposite to what they are intended for. Might it be worth trying to reduce at the same time as increasing the oestrogen? I know it can be quite difficult to come off so would need to be reduced slowly (I have relatives who have been on this one). I am just wondering if this could be interfering with your experiences on HRT and your quest to find the right one? Just a thought....

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »

Hi Hurdity
Thanks for for your reply, I'm not dry so probably not worth having I guess, I've not had a bleed on HRTs even when suppose to I think my last period was 15 years ago. The endrometrosis doesn't bother me now only before I had my daughter.

I do have a list I spent the other night going through all my notes and my head was spinning 😂
I've heard venlafaxine was hard to come off, I was taking a lower dose for a while but my mood really dipped so that's why I upped them, this was while I was settled on premique.

I'm going into week eight on Duavive, I'll go with it a bit longer before throwing the towel in as hopefully could settle. May be worth getting my estrogen levels checked I guess.

Thanks again xxx

Katia

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »

Butterfly, I'm trying to remember when I started premarin, but I seem to remember that caused low mood at first too.  It did clear up after a few weeks, so maybe give it a bit longer

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »

Hi Katia that's positive thank you, I'll keep going see how I get on xxx

Katia

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »

BUtterfly, I was surprised that it did that. I would have expected it from a P but not from an estrogen. It did resolve, but I'm not prone to low mood. I've actually reduced it a few days ago and do feel a bit better.

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »

Hi Katia, so you are on premairn ? Did you lower this? The last few days been ok, I'm keeping a diary so will see when my mood dips, the last few months I do notice it's round the 26th just lasted a bit long this time. But I definatly giving this a good go.
Thanks xxx

Katia

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »

yes, I've lowered it.  I think it's better for me.  My own estrogen seems to have surges.

Butterfly22

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »

Don't think I can go on taking this I feel like this low points are getting lower! Just feel terrible today.