Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Menopause for women with existing depression and anxiety  (Read 3579 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause for women with existing depression and anxiety
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »

Valium can be addictive for those with an addictive personality or for those who haven't been advised to take them as prescribed.  What people don't realise is that used correctly they are a very useful drug - one has to realise that they will work and not to take 'one more in case they don't '

GPs need to make time to discuss how a patient is feeling when giving the prescription, with regular follow-ups!

Peroxideblader

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 11:16:13 PM »

I agree we are all bunched together in one opinion and we're all individuals .
What makes me laugh is my gp's all say they cant give me sleep meds on an ongoing basis for every other night use as I could get addicted and that's not a nice life they say! What they don't realise is this 4 hours sleep EVERY  night is already a horrid life it's turned me into someone horrid short tempered grumpy emotional and a very ill one at that. I'm fit for nothing so add perimenopause on I would rather be addicted to needing a tablet every other night to get more than 4 hours sleep than die very soon of heart failure due to excess stress and strain on my body going 20 hours without sleep..sorry rant over ....just thought being almost 50 I fall into the old and wise category that if they gave me diazepam I would take it on a 3 or 4 day cycle not abuse it

racjen

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »

I think it's dangerous to say Valium can be addictive under certain circumstances - the fact is all benzodiazepines are extremely addictive and the withdrawal is pretty unpleasant. I think you're unusual CKLD if you've managed to keep to using them occasionally over many years. I became dependent on them for several years when I first suffered from anxiety, ended up increasing to lorazepam as diazepam became ineffective, and then had months of hell getting off them. If you look online you'll see many many accounts of people getting addicted - I'd avoid them like the plague personally. The problem is once you know that they take the horrible anxious feeling away it's very very hard to resist taking them, even though you know you shouldn't.

dazned

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »

I have used diazepam as when required for many years very successfully. They worked for me taking all the anxiety etc away. Fortunately I can't remember when I last needed to take one,certainly wasn't this year, but I always have some to hand and I think this helps enormously to know that I have an immediate answer if I need it. As you say we're all different,always different ways to cope.

weathergirl

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

I agree with CLKD. I've had a benzo prescribed by my doctor for going on a good 6 years now. I use it maybe once a week for sleep only.  Never take it during the day.  I don't think benzos are a good choice if someone has any addictive tendencies but I haven't had any trouble limiting their use.  And mainly it's for that very reason:  I don't want to become dependent! 

I've easily gone weeks without taking it and not noticed anything.  I think used judiciously, they are a Godsend and I am grateful that my doctor trusts my judgment in using them and understand how they help me.  I suffered for so many years and those were completely wasted years of absolute hell.   If I can take something once (or twice) a week that helps me sleep well and gives my body the rest it needs, I would prefer that than the ravages of sleep deprivation and/or high anxiety - both of which are damaging to both body and mind. 

Benzos are not meant for everyday long term use, definitely not.  But they can be prescribed safely to the right patient.  xxx

jennyp25

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

Hi yes I was prescribed diazipan . Only 5mg though just to help me get couple nights sleep. They don't like prescribe it usually. I only took one yesterday and slep well so hopefully this is sign s if improvement

jennyp25

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »

Hi yes I was prescribed diazipan . Only 5mg though just to help me get couple nights sleep. They don't like prescribe it usually. I only took one yesterday and slep well so hopefully this is sign s if improvement

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 01:46:01 PM »

'they' don't like to prescribe it because over the years it has been given out on demand! therefore people became addicted.  Like gin, Valium was seen as Mummy's Little Helper.  What should be explained to patients is that we need to allow the drug 'to do it's work'.  That if there isn't an immediate effect then we have to wait until the drug kicks in.  I know many people who have tried various types but because they don't relief within minutes, take another.   It is about educating patients as to the short-term effects and how the drug is designed.

Pretty much the same as with anti-biotic treatments.  Do not give patients on demand but explain why not    - but I digress  ::).

Pages: 1 [2]