Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Should your FSH levels decrease whilst on HRT?  (Read 3166 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Should your FSH levels decrease whilst on HRT?
« on: October 24, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »

Hello
Just a quick question for anyone who may know?  If whilst on HRT your FSH has decreased from 55, 43 and is now 12.5......
Does this mean I am still peri, or does it mean that the HRT is having the desired effect and the HRT is having the desired effect?
Thanks

Taz2

Re: Should your FSH levels decrease whilst on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »

I think that it means the HRT is working in raising your oestrogen levels so your body doesn't have to release FSH in order to stimulate your ovaries because it has been fooled into thinking that your ovaries are still working. The only way of knowing how far you are into menopause is to stop HRT and see whether your periods return and what other meno symptoms you are showing.

Taz x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »

Hi Taz

Thanks for your reply.  That makes sense and hopefully it means that I am going in the right direction.

I don't suppose you know anything about testosterone levels do you? Or anyone else for that matter?  Mine's been tested and it has come back at 0.3 nmol! 
I also requested that my oestrogen was tested at the same time, but unfortunately, they did my progesterone by mistake, that's 12.6 nmol!
Think i'll do another thread as am concerned why that is so high! May explain my total low mood of late.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »

I'm trying to think logically here (that'll cause a headache lol) and from my experiences

I've been on hrt for 18 years and 5 years ago they did all the FSH testing over a year or 2 etc yet I'm sure mine was raised.  I thought it was about the levels being raised trying to stimulate the ovaries to release an egg, would hrt affect that?

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »

Just checked my results from 2012-2015 and my numbers increased

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:25:56 PM »

It's so odd all this isn't it?
The lab has called me to say that they will do my Oestrogen test tomorrow, so am hoping that result with the FSH might make more sense.
Either way I think I need T!
Grrr - it's not easy all this is it?

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »

It is confusing, I remember the young gp telling me my ovaries were struggling to ovulate so the fsh levels increase as they try harder to make the ovaries release the egg

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:51:56 AM »

My FSH has gone from 6.4 to 16 since being on HRT over 12 months , I am 51.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »

Oestrogen acts to depress FSH levels in the grand scheme of things - but unless your cycle is suppressed then i presume FSH levels may still be raised. Only high levels of oestrogen prevent ovulation and as we know our natural cycle usually carries on in the background. Therefore there must still be some variation in FSH throughout the cycle - even if they may not reach the same levels as before HRT if you see what I mean? That's how I understand it anyway.

Hurdity x