Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update on GP and HRT  (Read 4346 times)

Mini1

Update on GP and HRT
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »

Hi

Update - saw doc yesterday after blood tests and ECG were all fine. He said I needed a low dose continuous HRT. When I opened the prescription he had given me a sequential one. So I had to go back and question it. I was then prescribed a high dose continuous one so I questioned it again. Another GP apologised to me and said that they had given me the wrong medication. So he gave me a prescription for Kliovance. Fingers crossed x

Dancinggirl

Re: Update on GP and HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »

Yet another example of how GPs don't know what they are doing - I find this quite frightening!!! :-X.
If a patient isn't 'on the ball', well, who knows what will happen - we all have to be really clued up about health and treatments these days and question everything.    Let us know how you get on.  DG x

racjen

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »

I had the same experience - took 3 goes for my GP to get the prescription right. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence does it?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »

Oh Mini1 - it's scary stuff isn't it.  Well done for standing your ground. Perhaps you should report your experience to the practise manager or the Local Health Authority - probably to both - as all the staff at this practise need some training about how to treat menopausal problems.  I'm afraid if we don't hold them to account, things will not improve.  Good luck.  DG x

Zara69

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »

Hello. I've had loads of problems with my surgery ...last time I went just to get a repeat prescription ...I'm on sequi patches as I'm 48 and haven't gone a year without a little spotting (I've had an ablation so don't have much if any bleeding). The GP said she was putting me on conti patches as I don't have periods.  I had to explain the difference between an ablation resulting in no periods (a surgical procedure) and no periods due to natural meno and ovarian failure! Explaining I was only 48 and hadn't gone a year plus I don't want continuous prog.  I said I'm sorry but you are wrong...when she eventually printed my prescription I said thank you and are you happy with this😂 (she said yes I think so)surely it should be her asking me!  I'm so close to giving up and going private x

peri

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »

My auntie was given conti hrt for years despite the fact she'd had a hysterectomy.  When she queried it it was changed but she picked up on it herself, not the professionals!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »

It really is dreadful.  Send a message to Dr Currie by snail mail!  she really should be keeping a list of GPs prescribing/not for menopausal women.

Is there a Patient Group at your Practice that you could join ?

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »

Mini1, sorry to hear about this.  This is why so many of us have been forced to seek help privately.  My GP admitted to knowing nothing about HRT so why on earth would I trust her to prescribe it?  It is not our job to educate GPs, they are very well paid and should be well versed on this fairly straightforward form of medication.  What else don't they know? 

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »

Sorry to hear about your poor experience Mini1 and it is quite worrying. I hope the treatment you ended up with works for you – but I'm sure you do not need to go privately! We can help steer you to a different product/regime if this one doesn't suit you.

I agree (CLKD, Dancinggirl) that it is really important to keep up the pressure on NHS and specifically some doctors who are not providing menopause treatment according to guidelines and protocols, as well as scarily inaccurate prescriptions, but I don't think we should be writing to Dr Currie about this (unless she has asked for this information - and why would she?), nor need we be forced to turn to the private sector. Surely she would have asked us to do so on this forum if she wanted such information, and compiling a database of doctors that patients have complained about is not the best way to achieve the desired outcome I would suggest. I'm sure if someone on here wants to do this (compile a database) then fine but not sure what you would do with it? There are potential issues around libel I'm sure.

I've said this before – but the top gynaes and specifically the British Menopause Society (probably RCOG too) are working hard to address the problem since the NICE Guidelines were produced, through education and training – I mean look at all the media and social media coverage for World Menopause Day!  Many of them such as Louise Newson have also produced informative websites and for example constantly tweet the main messages about menopause and treatments – as does Menopause Matters (most women of the relevant age will use some form of social media). This is from the top down.  I agree Mary G that ideally “It is not our job to educate GPs” but what is the alternative? I believe that those who have educated themselves have an important role to play and it is also up to each and every one of us individually as educated and informed women to also try to change things from the bottom up – through the medium of forums like this one and through pressure on our GPs,  if we can, and not just stick two fingers up at the system and say “I'm going private”. (Not talking about treatments not yet available on NHS like MLT btw – but treatments such as everyday HRT listed here....).

There are established routes for patient complaints about treatments at a local/regional level  as CLKD and Dancinggirl suggest, and far better for women/forum members each to pursue any such issues at a local/regional level,  to effect change little bit by little bit, and leave the BMS to focus on their national (and sometimes regional) activities.

Off my hobby-horse now  ::)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »

For what-ever reasons, Dr Currie decided that women need assistance with menopausal problems.  Hence this Forum.  In order to understand the WHOLE problem that ladies have at the various Surgeries across the UK: as seen here and this is surely a small % of ladies being given wrong information:  then she needs to be aware which GPs need educating further regarding The Change.  Unless ladies who have had problems tell Dr Currie she won't know, or who would you suggest Hurdity that they contact?  'we' .......... speak for yourself perhaps.

I saw NO media coverage of Menopause Day.  Not on the TV, none on local radio ....... not in our local papers, this month however is World Breast Cancer Awareness - probably depends on how much money is involved. 

At a time when ladies feel ill it shouldn't be up to them to have to investigate what is actually required in order to ease symptoms.  Our Surgery produces a monthly newsheet but menopause is never mentioned. 

Mini1

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 06:49:30 AM »

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I really do appreciate it. I just want other ladies to make sure that they know the options before visiting their GPs so they get the correct treatment. Hopefully I can start to feel better on the HRT I have got.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »

Sorry that your thread was kind of hi-jacked  :-\ - let us know how you get on!

louby48

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »

I'm a teacher and even after 20 years of teaching I still keep up with what's new in education and adjust my teaching accordingly.

Surely GPs should be doing this. Do they not go on training courses to learn about new practice, drugs etc

Jenni

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »

I find that pharmacists are much better informed about the latest medications and much more willing to explain things than doctors usually are. They have to do constant training to keep themselves up to date.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »

GPs can't be possibly keep up all the while ......... even when expected to do so.  They are given 10 mins per patient by the Government although I never feel rushed in our Surgery. 

Drug Companies used to arrange evenings with buffets to explain their newest products and ideas, then that became frowned upon, as did the holidays to a European Resort for the same reasons.  Personally I don't have a problem with that: getting any professional body together is important to exchange ideas and any new protocols.  Also it would give the GPs a chance to relax in the spa/pools/beach etc..  But humans being what we are, some muttered that it was a form of bribery  :sigh:

You can please some of the people some of the time?  I think being informed is important, lots of GPs however still don't like being 'told' by patients  ::) - which is why I take a list and "I've read about X, Y, Z, do you have any up-2-date advice about this?"
Pages: [1] 2