Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sleep aids?  (Read 1710 times)

Noheroicsplease

Sleep aids?
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »

I'm waking up at 4am again. I take valeria, lots of magnesium. I don't drink caffeine past midday. I exercise. I don't drink. Any suggestions for better sleep?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sleep aids?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »

'again'?  I have nights when I can't get to sleep, some when I wake in the early hours.  I have to go with it.  I make a cuppa about 5.00 a.m.  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »

What time do you go to bed/sleep? I woke at 4.30 am this morning and only dozed afterwards until tea at 7.15 am. Lights went off at 11.45 pm ( I usually read in bed). I usually sleep deeply until something like this time (or between 3 and 4.30) and then doze (but always wake tired in the morning!).

I'm sure you've tried all the usual - dim lighting in bedroom, no screens in bedroom, no screens nor exercise close to bedtime.  Bath or something before bed. Go to bed later. No daytime napping. Are you on gel HRT? - Apply this in the morning not at night if so. What's the magnesium for? It's not good to OD on this but not sure whether that would affect sleep? Are you waking for loo trips or just because?

Sorry I can't really help - but do you feel really tired in the day?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »

Years ago I was in a very busy involved job and had night after night of not sleeping - eventually I decided that not sleeping hadn't killed me, nor did it impact on my daily activities - since then (1980) apart from odd nights, I've had few problems.  It's an excuse to read that Very Good Book I have on the go ;-).  If I even get to worrying about not sleeping, my mind goes into over-drive which makes it worse.

Deep breathing
Radio on beside the bed
Cuppa in the early hours
My friend gets into the bath  ::) which lulls her into relaxation

weathergirl

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »

I use a very small dose of Melatonin maybe a couple of nights a week. I know it's not available OTC in the UK, but it is readily available in every store here in the U.S.  It helps a great deal. I may go weeks without using it but when I need it, it works.  Just a thought. 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »

I am able to fall asleep in my bath but wake when the water turns cold  :-\.  Written down my experiences seem trite but aren't meant to seem that way. 

Cathy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »

I sympathise - lack of sleep can have a big impact on how we feel. If I have a few bad nights and/or very early wakings in a row I feel ragged and as I'm still working and bringing up kids/running a home it can be a problem running on empty or half full!
If I've had a bad run of nights I'll take a couple of Boots Sleepeze tablets - just for one night and that seems to really help. I occasionally go to bed really early too - although I wake then at 4-5am it does still mean I've had a decent run of it and I read somewhere that the sleep before midnight is more restorative although I don't know if that's true.
I find deep breathing if I wake can help but not always. I do use a pillow spray which smells lovely and does seem to help get me off to the land of nod but doesn't always work. As always - have a few tricks you can pull out of the bag and try.
BW
Cathy

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »

Do the sleepeze work?

Peroxideblader

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »

Lack of sleep is awful I really feel for you..I have regularly posted on here with my 4 years of constant inability to FALL ASLEEP....I'm the other way round to most ladies who seem to be able to get to sleep then wake early. I'm 4 years down the line so I've tried it all and nothing works,
I agree with your comment CLKD about if you worry about sleeping you won't sleep but once I got to the sixth month of not getting to sleep til dawn it's a thought you can't get out of your head you know you won't sleep and you don't ...you don't sleep so you know you wouldn't anyway..I tried CBT therapy et to change my mindset but to no avail.
As for melatonin sadly I've used it every few days for the last month and sadly no one told me it messes with your cycle and this month I've come on a week early when I'm always at least a week late and it's been such a heavy one I ended up passing out and very large clots so I've stopped the melatonin.
I'm past help now I really believe that but if menopause lasts ten to fifteen year and I've got another 11 years of this lack of sleep then take me now...it's ruined my life it really has an no one else apart from th ladies on here realise how it devastated your life...my health both mentally and physically has got so bad I don't even think my relationship will survive much longer. I have no get up and go no energy and so tearful and depressed with such little sleep and I'm not a nice person to have around ...and I know this is not just peri or depression as I've kept my depression at bay all my life and before this nightly no sleep tuned up I was fine...
So sorry this is so negative but it's the only place I can comment as I one else understands

weathergirl

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »

I'm so sorry Peroxi.  :-\  What dose of melatonin were you using?  You only need perhaps 1mg (even half of that would probably do it).  Larger doses are usually unnecessary.  I had never experienced it messing with my cycle and have been using it for a long time.  I don't use it every night though and often go long periods not using it.  Perhaps try a very low dose?  I know some who went from having horrible sleep to really getting well once they got the dose correct. 

I so feel for you (and others) having such a horrible menopause and I count my blessings it is not happening that way for me.  I wish there was something better to offer.  I went through a horrible period of insomia a number of years ago, never figured out why, but gave up expecting to sleep, and eventually it resolved.  I do exercise and it helps so much to induce a decent sleep.

Thinking of you and sending many hugs!  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:02:24 PM by weathergirl »

weathergirl

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »

I don't think your experience sounds trite at all CLKD. What you said resonated with me as I used to take very warm/hot baths to relax my body and mind and I, too, would drift off in the bath just like you said.  It was an incredibly nice feeling.  I haven't taken hot baths in ages because I use a low dose estradiol patch and really shouldn't be sitting in hot water for long periods with them.  I tried it a few times and it made the patch lift so I just stopped and do showers.   I always enjoy your input.   :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »

There must be help for your sleep deprivation Peroxid?  I would be sending an e-mail to that guy on the TV programme whose face I can see but can't remember his name - when I do I'll post back!  'embarrassing bodies' is the programme and they seem to be able to find Consultants to help people, when NHS etc. have failed.

Dr Pixie, Dr Dawn and Dr ........... Christian Jesson?

:thankyou:  weathergirl - I wouldn't give up my bath for anyone ;-).  Though when severely depressed and agitated, I couldn't sit in it for long, nor could I read ......... that's when I realised that I was getting better, the night I laid down in the bath, sorry - I digress

Debbielev

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »

God. I have been waking up at 4 am every night for about a year now, am so fed up with it. Thought it was my anxiety and it's the menopause?
Anything else this menopause doesn't cause lol X

Peroxideblader

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »

Weathergirl thanks for your concern I was only taking 1mg sometimes half a mg I took it solid for 2 weeks as advised made me drowsy but didn't make me get to sleep any earlier but I was advised to stick with it for a few months so I took it every 2 days then missed a day then 2 days etc..couldn't believe it when I got my period after 20 days and when I Googled it its rife it's a major side effect...just my luck.

clkd ...there isn't anything I gave up with doctors and medical route after 2 years of no sleep then the last 2 everything else..I appreciate your recommendation to email TV doctor but the chances of getting any useful reply is pretty much zero they only reply to so many and they just think old woman can't sleep boo hoo no great issue there!!@ like my friends and family do..think it's nothing that alters your life yeh right!!