Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Gabapentin for night sweats  (Read 1742 times)

tiger74

Gabapentin for night sweats
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »

Hi

Haven't been on here for a long time but just wanted to share the success I have had with having been prescribed 100mg Gabapentin by my GP to help with night sweats.  I am not able to take HRT and this has been a real breakthrough for me.

Contemporaries to whom I have mentioned this have found their GPs to be totally unaware of the use of Gabapentin for this purpose.  Apologies if this has already been covered on here or is general knowledge. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:39:45 PM by tiger74 »

Hurdity

Re: Gabapentin for night sweats
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »

Hi tiger74

I do remember you and I hope you have recovered now (don't want to be intrusive) but I know why you aren't able to have HRT.

Thanks for letting us know that this treatment works for you - this will be good news for others who also cannot have HRT as women in this position need all the help they can get. This one is rarely mentioned on here and maybe not known about so much as you say.

You might also be interested in the latest paper published (in the journal of the British Menopause Society - I think it's that one anyway) about alternative treatments for HRT  - it is found here:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7

The paper starts with all the prescribed alternatives and how well they work and at what dose, so is very useful. Gabapentin is listed there but says some women experience side effects with it which limits it use so would be interesting to know whether you experienced these and how long it took for them to settle?

Glad you are feeling better :)

Hurdity x

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »

Thank you for the link, Hurdity.

I have now been on Gabapentin for about 8 weeks.  Started on 300mg in the evening but still felt drowsy in the morning so reduced to 200mg and more recently to 100mg.  Only side-effect has been dry mouth but that soon subsided and is no longer noticeable.  Sleeping so much better because the night sweats have been eliminated.     :D :D :D   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »

So keep on with the medication  ;)