Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anti depressants  (Read 1577 times)

loripetal

Anti depressants
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »

Hi there
I'm started cyclical patch 3 months ago. Evorel sequi.
I am very down and feel the patch is not helping that much with mood.
I have been advised to try citalopram and wondering if anyone else has tried and what your experience has been if so?
Many thanks sisters
Lorrane  :)

Butterfly22

Re: Anti depressants
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »

Hi sorry your feeling like this, I was on citalapram for 15 years 30mg then lowered it to 20 the last year but it wasn't as helpful so upped it again but still felt low, maybe as I'd been on them so long they stoppe working as well.
I did try a few others fluxitine were good with my moods but could not sleep so I am now on venlafaxine which help loads.
I didn't really get any side effects on the citalapram and did help in the beginning xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »

What's to lose?  Even if you are aware that moods might be caused by hormonal ups and downs, there is nothing wrong with trying appropriate medication.  I have taken ADs, anti-anxiety meds etc. for years.  I've been lucky in that the ADs have lasted me well until the brain becomes used to the mix of medication  ::)

dazned

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »

I haven't tried them myself,I'm on a different AD after HRT stopped working for me,but two acquaintances for for various medical reasons chose not to use HRT and they're on citalapram and swear by them for dealing with their hot flushes! I can only tell you of their personal experience.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »

I'm not sure how old you are loripetal? I see from your previous posts that your doc wasn't that keen on HRT but  it might be worth trying to tweak the HRT type or dose before going down this route if you feel your low mood is hormonal and the HRT is not helping with mood yet? Have you kept a diary to see if your mood changes vary with your cycle? It could also be that you need a higher dose of oestrogen. If you think this might be an option we can help you decide as that particular patch doesn't come in higher doses.

Just a thought anyway...

Hurdity x

Clare11

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »

Hi,
I have been on citalopram, not taking it now, been great of it for only a week but still it's a week. But it helped me and had no side effects and I am sure it helped with hot night flushes.
I do believe it helped me.
Take care
x

loripetal

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »

Hi thanks very much for replies.
Am 47. Have not slept well for abt a year now. Mood has been very low for that time too.
I feel a vey slight lift on the estrogen patch and feel down on the progestogen one. Am on month 4 now.
It's hard to know as not been fit for a year and losing muscle tone and fitness.
Thanks again.  Would be gd to know abt other doses etc that are available.  Dr is quite dismissive.   :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »

I understand that some ladies do find the progesterone stage difficult.  Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart feelings?  4 months is early days really ........

Peroxideblader

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »

I've been on escitalopram for 4 years and it lifted me out of a black hole it was a life saver and I will be on it for life but I need to look at hrt for the insomnia and depression which is getying worse which I'm hoping is hormonal..I say give it a try

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »

Peroxide: if you are on a low dose 'escitalpram' maybe you need to up the dose to ease depression?  I self-medicate as necessary.