Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Is this really perimenopause  (Read 1776 times)

Tiamaria

Is this really perimenopause
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »

I am not sure where to start with this.......I am nearly 48 and for a while have noticed a gradual decline in my health. My symptoms lol ......The reoccurrence of pmt, breast tenderness, an early or late period every now and then, more bleeding,aching bones,thin skin, dryness, hair loss, heat attacks, tiredness, anxiety, depression, forgetfulness and a general feeling of loosing a grip on reality. I don't recognise myself anymore. Not one for making decisions without thought I left my job that I had been in for years, left my new job and gone back to my old job on different terms. I think this is perimenopause and its making me very unhappy. Not because of the loss of fertility but these awful symptoms. Someone please tell me that I am not going mad.

Snoooze

Re: Is this really perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »

No you are not going mad! You're in peri which can last up to 10 years (oh joy!).

I have all your symptoms.

Tiamaria

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »

Gosh its awful. I know its a natural part of being a woman but I hear of other women sailing through it. What a rough deal.

Yammy1

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »

Still can't figure that one out  ???.My two sisters sailed through menopause but I seem to have every symptom known to man (or woman in this case)lol. I just wish someone would do a study on why some of us are really badly effected and some nothing at all. I bet if it was men going through this there would be uproar and something done about it. Some days are okay and some are unbearable  :'(

Tiamaria

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »

Haha if a man had to go through this he would spend the next ten years in bed.

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »

Just like childbirth, men wouldn't cope with meno, but we're the weaker sex :-* lol, yeah right  :lol:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »

:welcomemm:  sounds within normal limits for peri-menopause  ::).  Browse round. Make notes.

Apparently as oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: inside and out : so do read our threads on Vaginal Atrophy which often presents as urine infection-type symptoms.  Appropriate treatment can ease symptoms.  Also the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  It's not called The Change for nowt!

My periods waxed and waned for a few years prior to stopping but I carried protection for the next 5 years, in case  :D.  I had itchy insteps, moistness across my shoulders every evening, itchy skin ........ tinnitus ........ my GP recognised VA and treatment means that I can get on.  It was like razor blades up there  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »

Hi Tiamaria

:welcomemm:

If your cycle lengths regularly differ by around a week and are generally irregular ( rather than just shortening most of the time) and you are experiencing menopausal symptoms, and you are over 45 - then yes  - peri-menopause is the most likely explanation for your symptoms - welcome to the club!

This is a great time to look at any lifestyle changes you might need to make that will benefit your future health - eg diet, exercise, fresh air, body weight, alcohol, smoking etc. Changes to some of these alone can help you to feel better able to cope with the  challenges of menopause.

At some point depending on how you feel and your medical background, once you get well established into peri-menopause and cycles become few and far between (or even before this) you might want to think about whether you'd like to start HRT. Many of us take this and have reaped dividends. However this may be a long way from your thoughts at the moment! In the meantime read as much as you can about menopause form the information on the main website - and here is an article which tells you what's happening in your body:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

You will find plenty of help and support here :)

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »

Hi Tiamaria

Good advice already.

Taz x  :welcomemm: