Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: The right time for HRT  (Read 2085 times)

Nellie Noo

The right time for HRT
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »

This may sound a bit ignorant, and has possibly been asked before but I am considering Hrt for numerous horrible symptoms ....but I am concerned that I may not be quite ready ?  I have read that oestrogen levels can be quite high in relation to progesterone in peri and that alone can give horrible symptoms . I don't want to be adding more oestrogen and making things worse . Sorry if this sounds stupid but when I asked my GP she said " suck it and see..... " Well that's fine if you have absolutely nothing to do but sit around and experiment, but with a very busy life and lots of demands ... I can't bear the thought of making myself worse. Or do I wait until my periods have finished and my symptoms get a whole lot worse before I take Hrt? Thank you .

Hurdity

Re: The right time for HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »

Hi Nellie Noo

:welcomemm:

It is absolutely fine to ask and say pretty much  anything you like on here (as long as polite!) - after all we were all in your position once. I knew absolutely nothing at all about menopause - just that periods would stop and you might get flushes and sweats - that's all. Little did I know.....  ::)

The best solution will depend on what your cycle is doing (how often) long/short, heavy/light periods, what symptoms you are experiencing and your age.

It is usually the fluctuations in hormones which give the worst symptoms, and eventually the overall reduction in oestrogen. There is a great article on peri-menopause here - you might like to read:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

If you can tell us a bit more then we can help you :)

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »

Your oestrogen can go right up and right down through peri, and your progesterone can be very low if you do not ovulate, then suddenly take off one month when you do.

I started hrt when I was peri and getting periods every 15 - 25 days with erratic amounts of bleeding.

I tried charting and taking my temperature and I don't think I was ovulating properly at all during that time.  Some months there was a little blip which would fizzle out straight away and there would be another bleed.  I used to wake up in the morning on a sudden down, with all my joints hurting and hobble to the loo and this would take several days to wear off.

It has been good for me.  I did not have any expectations of it changing my life - I was just hoping for some stability.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »

Thank you for your replies. The article is really interesting and explains a lot . I am nearly 53 and up until the last 4 months my periods have always been very regular . Now they are erractic and the flow has  been heavy then, next to nothing . But its the other symptoms that are bothersome. Bladder problems ( for which i am now on vagifem, which has been brilliant !)  Night sweats, not sleeping well , low mood, achy body, .. tiredness that comes out of  Nowhere ! Acid reflux and erractic bowels ! I cant really imagine this getting worse but from what i gather when you lose all your oestrogen .. it does !!! I dont expect HRT to be a miracle but stability would be good . I dont know what to expect one day to the next . Thank you for listening

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

Welcome.

Apparently as oestrogen levels drop, the body may become dry: thank goodness that you have found treatment for vaginal atrophy! for me it was like razor blades up there  :o.  VA often mimics urine infection-type symptoms for which non-essential anti-biotic treatment is often prescribed.  Which does ease symptoms but appropriate medication will, if used regularly, help enormously.  The nostrils, deep in the ears, skin - a good moistorisor might help.

My experience has been varied but I've come out the other side ;-).  I had itchy insteps as I stepped into the bath every night in the early days of peri..  I had to get DH to scratch my back every night ....... and had for a few months, an evening glow when the skin on my back would weep.  That's all stopped PHEW!

As oestrogen levels drop the muscles may become lax = aches and pains which can be treated by over-the-counter pain relief.  It is important to do lots of brisk walking to stave off osteoporosis.  Exercise in general is useful.  'me' time, my go to is my evening bubble bath with cuppa and Very Good Book!  There are threads here on most things, browse round ;-).  Cycling, swimming .......

As for acid reflux, because of the laxity of muscles ladies often develop a hiatus hernia which encourages reflux.  I have found that not eating or taking my mix of medication too close to laying down usually keeps symptoms away.  If it is troublesome it's usually acute pain in the chest at the same time in the early hours.  Rennies x 2, chewed slowly as well as sitting up eventually helps.

Bowels - yep.  We've been here too.  Browse round.  Make notes.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:51:10 PM »

Thank you for your advice 🙂Much appreciated . Who is DH ?? If you dont mind me asking 😳 .

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »

I think it is 'himself' - dear husband  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »

DH = Dear Husband ::) !  I know that one but some of the other abbreviations are beyond me!

If you are considering HRT and your periods are varying by as much as a week between cycles for example ( rather than say 28/29/27 days) you may well have times when your oestrogen is low and in particular just before your bleed ( or just after it starts) as you will have read, oestrogen levels plunge.  A low dose HRT will stop levels from getting too high but will ensure they don't bottom out quite a bad as they would do without it.

One of the better tolerated ones is Femoston which comes in a low dose of 1/10 (as well as a higher dose of 2/10). All the ones for peri-menopause are listed here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Snap - dahliagirl!

Nellie Noo

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

Thank you so much for the informed advice. It really is very appreciated. I will have a good look at some of the articles, especially the link you have posted. Thank you

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »

Hi Nellie Noo

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Nellie Noo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »

:)