Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anxiety stopping me trying hrt.  (Read 2450 times)

Elliemay

Anxiety stopping me trying hrt.
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »

Hi all. I am still in a quandry. 7 years post meno and it's all been absolutely nightmarish. I just can't function. I have terrible anxiety which is a long standing problem for me. ive done lots of work on it but I have a suspicion that it was kicked off 20 years ago when I was put into fake menopause for endometriosis.  I have always been slightly nervy but never had such vicious attacks til then.

I will never take anti-depressants again after being given seroxat which sent me into hypermania. Absolutely no way I could get a tablet down even if I wanted to.

ive had great advice on here but my anxiety is stopping me from trying anything, in fear of upsetting the fragile balance I have. So im just going round in circles.

Been struggling with very dark moods too so I dont want to risk that again. one of the listed side effects of EC is depression. also the mood can suddenly drop in a second but lift a few days later. I dont think antidepressants work for mood swings.

i really think that hrt could help the rest of my symptoms. Been prescribed evorel conti but am to scared to try it.

I had nearly plucked up courage to try half a  patch but then saw a post where it had increased someone's anxiety and it put me off.

I know it is trial and error but if something doesnt suit me, it isnt so simple as trying something else. I fear it could cause such distressing psychological symptoms that it could set me back years.

gp said try this EC and come back in 3 months. That was a month ago. The thought of trying it makes me feel sick. The thought of suffering like this for more years also makes me sick so I cant win.

JKH52

Re: Anxiety stopping me trying hrt.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »

Hi Elliemay

This was posted yesterday and is definately worth listening to ....

https://www.facebook.com/LouiseNewsonMyMenopauseDoctor/posts/144397153235673

Blood tests are a good way of getting an idea of hormone levels, that was the best move i made to start making sense of what was happening to me and what i needed. I had terrible anxiety (amongst other symptoms) and Estrogel (with Prog) has saved me and enabled me to function. x

Elliemay

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »

thanks, the link isnt available, maybe I have to be a fb friend to view.
Ive had blood tests in the past that confirmed I was in menopause but at the time our surgery was refusing to prescribe hrt at all.

I feel so ill honestly apart from the anxiety. its good to hear how people are helped by hrt. its just getting through this mental block ive created

Woodlands

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »

Hi there.
How about, stop, revaluate, quality potentially of life or life as it is? Good rest, eating, exercise, stop all alcohol as it affects our mood and possibly Eliminate caffeine too.....try mindfulness, a list of pros and cons and then decide.
Do you work? Have a partner, children ....always re-evaluation...I had PND with my eldest who since died at 23, anxiety again four years ago, take AD's and have Mirena.....it was quality of life for me at almost 55 .
Woodlands xx

Yammy1

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »

I too suffer with anxiety and have a fear of starting hrt, I have tried it a few times and felt my anxiety got worse. but lately I was anxious without it so as I still had some patches left (estradot 50mg,) last week i cut one in half and am trying this, so far anxiety hasn't gotten any worse so I will keep going for a while and maybe try a full patch in a few weeks. I had hysterectomy five years ago so I only need estrogen, maybe try a very low dose and see how you get on. I believe the patches have the least side effects. I also have am emergency pill(xanax) which I take half one only when absolutely necessary and this calms me enough to stop panic attack. Hope you feel better soon, I know this anxiety is a nightmare, for me it's feeling dizzy is the worst symptom
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:10:47 AM by Yammy1 »

JKH52

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »

Sorry bout that !  Try this one

https://lizearlewellbeing.com/episode-12-the-menopause-with-dr-louise-newson/

It has to be a personal choice. I only wish i had been given 'good' HRT advice when my symptoms first started last year as it was really frightening at first. I have had amazing support from my hubby who is now pretty well read on the topic.

We need hormones to function and stay healthy - thats a given. Finding the right ones to suit can take a bit of time, trial and error.  I havent tried patches, just pills and they didn't suit me (side effects)  and now i use Estrogel and its great  - i only use one pump in the morning after showering....  and as of yesterday i now have another Mirena as i didnt care for the painful bleeding from the progesterone. Quality of life is everything xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »

Hi Elliemay

it sometimes is counterproductive reading about others' bad experiences and do remember that women only come to this forum needing advice or with problems. There will be thousands of women out there using all these products quite happily without a care in the world.

An indication of how you may feel could be if you've used the BCP in the past or the POP? It is usually the synthetic progestogens if anything that would cause a problem if there was going to be one. However I presume you need to take this all the time due to possible latent endometriosis?

In your position I would start with half a patch for at least a month. Your body has been without oestrogen for a long time and needs to adjust to this (I'm sure I said this recently to someone - was it you?!). You will experience some changes but the side effects should settle and eventually you should reap the benefits.

Ideally a 50 mcg medium dose would be best to get to eventually (not sure how old you are?) but even 25 mcg (half a patch) will do some good.

Take the plunge - and if necessary post every day if necessary saying how you feel - if you need some encouragement - or even better make sure you have plenty to do to keep yourself very very busy in the weeks following starting it, so that you don't have time to think about it - either at work or at home - lots of walking, open air and things like that.

All the best - you have nothing to lose :)

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »

I would clear a week, get a good stock in from the supermarket, and plan a gentle time of good food, gentle walks in the fresh air, and early nights and some good box sets. Just do the things you have to do and give yourself a bit of TLC.  Then start it then.  Then gradually get back to normal.

I found the first week I felt a bit 'odd' and not at all secure in myself.  I got my car stuck in a carpark in the rain and panicked and had to get a taxi home.  It turned out to be the steering lock  :-[ :-[ :-[   After that I got my son to drive me everywhere.  Then I was fine  ;D  I upped to 2mg when I was feeling not quite right and had another embarrassing thing happen, but have been totally ok since.

I still do the healthy stuff and exercise and nice things etc, but it no longer feels like I am firefighting and jumping from one disaster to the next.   The hrt seems to make everything else more effective, rather than being an answer in itself if you see what I mean.  Well worth a go.

I had a really bad experience with sertraline in the past so am careful about what I take.

Elliemay

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »

Thanks everyone. Yes I dont have much quality of life at the moment. Im 53, no kids. I think Zoladex for endo 20 years ago  contributed to my marriage breakup . we were trying for a baby, endo was cleared by zoladex for 6 months but i was hit with depression & anxiety badly for the first time and  wasnt aware it could be the zoladex. then the seroxat was prescribed which left me completely in bits, all in all childless and husbandless!

I have been posting  on here and getting lots of help so I feel positive,  pluck up courage to ask gp about hrt and then the anxiety kicks in again making me too scared to try it.

ive just lost my rented house as ive been trying to work whilst hiding some very nasty symptoms. im self employed so have been very apathetic and disorganised, leaving me with very little work, no sick pay or benefits. it is a very physical job where I have to be outgoing and it can be torture when I feel so bad.

ive moved in with partner and am trying to hide how miserable I feel because I dont want to bring him down either. Also need more work as I don't want him to support me and he couldn't anyway. so I suppose there is a lot to be anxious about but hormones exacerbating it.

thats a good idea about trying it and posting on here daily if I have to.
 if I could just get over the first hurdle!
GP said she doesn't know what I'm worried about cause people love hrt! Simple!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:17:40 PM by Elliemay »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »

Oh how I struggled to take medication for many reasons. From The Pill, pain relief, other prescribed medications.  But once I did so - and ADs have improved HUGELY in the last even 5 years - I have a Life again.

What else have you tried instead of chemical intervention?  I found that relaxation therapy helped but needed practice.  Some ladies find yoga helps, not only in giving them time 'out' but also in actually learning how to relax.  Swimming?  Cycling?  Walking?  Gardening?  My go-to each evening is a bubble bath, cuppa and Very Good Book  ;)

Do look at your diet.  Keep hydrated.  Brisk walking can ease anxiety surges as well as protecting heart and bones [osteoporosis].  Plenty of dairy in the diet is useful.

Prozac  gave me rages  :cuss:.  Some ADs made me really nauseous.  Then my GP found one that worked (1988).  After 3 weeks my depression began to ease.  I have Propranolol twice daily for anxiety [my 1st panic attack was at age 3], as well as an emergency pill for when anxiety floors me.  I have successfully used Valium on an as-necessary basis taken the night B4 an event.

I think that you should talk with your partner.  If you hit a low point he may feel guilty but may not mention.  Being open now will save a lot of guilt and possibly mis-understanding!