Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can stop Utrogestan if bleeding already started?  (Read 1613 times)

elizabeth22

• First Flush
Can stop Utrogestan if bleeding already started?
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »

I have been non sequential HRT for about 15 months - 1mg Sandrena every day + 200mg Utrogestan days 15-26.  It has done wonders for my peri-menopausal hot flushes, low mood, bad sleep, brain fog etc.  I often start a bleed mid-way through the Utrogestan.  My gynaecologist says not to worry as this is just my own cycle breaking through.

If I start to bleed say day 22, does anyone know if it is OK to not take the rest of that month's Utrogestan?  It seems pointless if you are only taking it to induce a withdrawal bleed.

Also, does anyone else have an increased heart rate after taking HRT?  Mine used to be very low and now about 20 beats per min faster ...

Thank you!

Dancinggirl

Re: Can stop Utrogestan if bleeding already started?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think you may find it mucks up your cycle if you change the way you take the Utrogestan.  It is quite important to take it for enough days to ensure the womb lining sheds properly.  It is quite common for the bleeding to start a bit early but you may get away with just taking etc Utrogestan for 10 days - so start on day 17 of your cycle and use for 10 days. 

Can't help you on heart rate- sorry.

DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »

Hi elizabeth22

:welcomemm:

I agree that it would be best to continue with utrogestan for the whole cycle. I am not exactly sure how it works while you are actually bleeding - but it works in two ways as part of HRT - it changes the  structure of the womb lining that has already built up ( from oestrogen stimulation) - to prepare for pregnancy, and when the progesterone levels fall this changed lining is then shed. It also works to interfere with the oestrogen receptors in the uterus to prevent oestrogen from making the lining grow.  At the point of the start of bleeding I'm not sure what the progestogen is doing but at some point during the bleed it will be carrying on with its job I would suggest. I've tried looking this up but difficult to find info and I find I am delving into the structural complexities of the endometrium!

I can't find any info on heart rate - the side effects for gel for example list palpitations as an uncommon side effect (but these are also a symptom of low oestrogen). There is some interaction with oestrogen and thyroid function too - again somewhat complex ( I am not au fait with the biochemical details!) so if your thyroid function has changed as a result of taking oestrogen eg improved  = increased your metabolism) your heart rate could increase, maybe - but just thinking aloud here!

As Dancinggirl suggests you could reset your cycle so that your bleed comes just after stopping the Utro - although when you are peri-menopausal your cycles change in length, so you may find that it goes out of sync again soon.

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »

This is happening with me too. The in,y thing I find is low mood. Our own progesterone peaks around our cycle and that along with the Utrogestan I'm finding is too much for me

elizabeth22

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »

Thank you so much for your replies - you are a mine of useful information!  X