Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 'Compounded' Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)  (Read 7649 times)

dazned

Re: 'Compounded' Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »

I think that was a bit harsh Dana " I frankly don't care " !
Surely MM is all about caring . :'(

Dana

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »

No "contention". Just medical information which people can choose to ignore if they want to.

Dana

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »

I think that was a bit harsh Dana " I frankly don't care " !
Surely MM is all about caring . :'(

Oh for goodness sake. Why would you take what is said out of context?

dazned

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »

For goodness sake why would you need to put it that way in the first place ?

Dana

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »

Because I really don't care if people read the links or not, and I was also responding to a fairly "dismissive" post.

coldethyl

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »

People can take HRT! BHRT or whatever they choose and stick it wherever and whenever they so choose in my book. I don't actually care one way or other than that the user feels they are achieving something and it improves their quality of life. What I think is being missed from Pollyanna's original post is that no one opinion on the matter is absolutely and objectively right for all. It's a mistake to think of science as always providing an objective answer to a question- you find what you set out to find so you have already made assumptions about the efficacy etc as you determine best experiments and trials ( I've a degree in philosophy so the impossibility of a view from nowhere which is what seems to being mooted here with the endless links to papers etc is part of what we were expected to question) - it's more important to be flexible in your approach and if it works for someone , ff whatever reason, be happy for them.

dazned

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »

Good post coldethyl. Personally I thought most of us come here as laymen, well women, looking to chat about menopause,it's trials,tribulations etc,personal experiences,support. I like you think whatever it takes to make one feel better is fine by me. Even doctors,consultant,surgeons view so called scientific findings in different ways,there is no definitive answer in my book . ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »

I care that HRT is being shoved down my throat!  It should be up to Dr Currie to suggest appropriate Links should she feel it necessary.  But pages and pages of 'stuff' isn't helpful when visitors/potential Members are tired and want a quick answer ......... which is why there is a green area which begins 'menopause', 'treatments' etc..

Off to start another thread.

dangermouse

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »

NICE recommended treatments unfortunately do not cover the time for many in perimenopause when oestrogen is too high - apart from subduing the cycle with high oestrogen. I only take progesterone cream and if I add even a slightly herbal estrigenic I feel terrible again.

I personally think it's best that we just stick with our own experiences on here, as we can all Google if we want to find detailed research and professional opinions on certain products or regimes. Here should surely be for if you have been helped by compounded (or patches, Studd, herbals, procedures, LadyCare Magnets... whatever) then you should post about it. Alternatively, if you've been hurt by these then you should also post so that members can get a balance and be alerted if, for example, lots of women have had bad side effects or issues from compounded hormones - which I certainly haven't noticed here. If not, then it's not really helpful to over-state opinions about big pharma vs little pharma. That I guess is when things become contentious.

Others' experience is, for me, so much more valuable than the general consensus as you know there is nothing behind it but the facts, accepting of course that everyone's experience may still be different.

Also to add that I have used both Marion Gluck's Clinic and Jan Toleadano's new one and I've only been asked to get blood tests not saliva (but I know some clinics do this, perhaps not in the UK?). They also would never prescribe progesterone cream with standard ERT as the latter is too potent. They will combine with tiny amounts of estradiol but all in line with ensuring the lining stays safe. It may be different outside of the UK though and that is where others' experience can help teach us about even more options.

Mary G

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »

I take studies with a pinch of salt and remember it was 'studies' that got us into trouble with HRT before - I am referring to the two badly conducted and now discredited studies that have held HRT development back for 10 years and are responsible the ruining the lives of millions of women - perhaps that is why one is called the million women study.  According to some studies, my womb lining should be about 2 foot deep by now because I apparently don't take enough progesterone.  Studies often conflict with other studies and doctors often disagree with other doctors so let's not get overly hung up and bogged down with studies.

What really matters is that this interesting and relevant thread is kept alive.  As Pollyanna says, compounded BHRT is improving all the time and there is no way Dr Marion Gluck would be prescribing anything that put women's health at risk.  Same goes for Professor Studd by the way. 

So if you don't like the sound of BHRT and/or Dr Gluck or Professor Studd (often criticised on here) don't go there and move on to another thread but do leave others free to decide for themselves.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »

:thankyou: dangerous, Mary G and breeze .......  :great:

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »

How awful for you!  Thnx for your input.

dazned

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »

yes I guess back in the day the WH study was the last word in the Grail ! Look where that got us to! :-\

How devastating for you Trey,makes you wonder who/what to believe doesn't it ! Like you said I think we know our own bodies best and what might be fabulous for me isn't going to cut it maybe for you .

Mary G

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »

Trey, I am sorry to hear that you have been directly affected by those discredited studies.  I stand to be corrected but my understanding is that the only consistent finding to come out of the many HRT studies conducted is that it is the synthetic progesterone component of HRT that increases the risk and that would include Prempro.  You say you were taking Premarin which (I believe) is oestrogen only and although some might not like the fact it contains conjugated oestrogen, it does not mean increased risk.

You are right, one size very definitely doesn't fit all. 

Dana

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:38 PM »

I'm pleased to see that Emma has addressed the alleged "safety" of bioidentical compounded hormones in the alternative therapies section. I stand by everything I wrote in my post and the information I included. However every woman has the right to make her own choices. Just be aware of the ALL the facts when you do and not just the marketing spin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3