Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thought I was better...  (Read 5808 times)

rebel2

Thought I was better...
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:46:59 AM »

Have posted recently about trapped wind and gurgling stomach issues, probably anxiety related.  Then yesterday I thought I was better.  Went out Saturday night, had a beer and even two puddings, slept well.  By yesterday evening I was 'cured'.

But this morning, woke early with adrenaline surges and then stomach started again.   Do adrenaline surges cause IBS stomach issues?   Feel as if I have a boiling kettle down there!

Scampi

Re: Thought I was better...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »

Adrenaline can give anyone a 'funny tummy', even those without IBS!  Basically, adrenaline sets your body up to react to danger - 'fight or flight' - and in doing so it draws blood flow away from 'non-essential' organs like the digestive system to concentrate resources on the muscles of movement.  This is why exciting and nervous situations give you 'butterlies in the tummy'.  So, if you have IBS, adrenaline can set it off.

rebel2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »

Thanks Scampi, hoping it will die down during the day.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »

Hi rebel and scampi.  Yes, as I have posted elsewhere my IBS has relapsed a lot since June after being in remission for over 2 years.  We had the stress and anxiety (although enjoyable) of a holiday in June (travel always stresses me out - the 'what if?' syndrome). Then we had the build up and anticipation and a big family event in August with a lot of house guests.  I also had a blip with my medication.  this is all enough to upset my gut. 

I also think the constant overactivity has lowered my thyroid levels a little, which will always cause constipation.  Fortunately these are due to be checked next month and I have upped my thyroxine a small amount to see if it helps.

Severe chronic constipation and IBS is one of the most miserable conditions, only someone who has experienced it can understand how debilitating it is  :(

rebel2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »

Stress and anxiety have totally floored me for the last three years.  Stomach is now fine - just left with stitch feeling on left side.   Trying not to get paranoid about serious cause... had this last October for a couple of weeks so assume it is the same.  And had stressful conversation before bed last night and am generally anxious.  Have doctors appointment on Thursday, but pretty sure it will be a waste of time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »

Back to School
Monday morning
Driving Test
Exams .......... I must have had it but once I got into the Exam room or on stage, those feelings dissipated.  However, now that I don't have any way of getting rid of anxiety  :-\.  All had the ability to start that 'oh' feeling with the dreadful gut lurch.   :-[

Scampi explains it exactly - however, knowing the causes has never stopped those feelings for me.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »

I've posted my tummy troubles too.  I've put mine down to moving home this week.  Weirdly, windeze has worked marvels this time usually its deflatine that helps.  I still take probiotics but have ordered some super duper ones that were recommended (here I think)

rebel2

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »

Am starting to get paranoid!  Thought I was better again yesterday so risked a spicy pizza and a beer.  Fine all night, fine first thing, then wham!  Stomach churning again and now left strange feeling under left rib - assume trapped wind again.   No diarrhoea or anything.  My rational brain says it is anxiety as we have a lot happening at the moment and I get trapped in negative spiral of thoughts/anxiety that causes anxiety/adrenaline surges.
It's the pits as it becomes a vicious circle - anxiety = stomach issues =paranoia that is something serious = more anxiety = more stomach issues.

Anybody else had this for prolonged period??  Am at GPs tomorrow so will mention it [but doubt I will get anywhere] and am thinking of citalopram again, even though I hated it last time.  But I need something to flatten out my anxiety.

dazned

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »

Of citlopam didn't suit you last time why not ask gp about a different type.  ::)
ADs are like hrt to ,trial and error until you get the right type for you .
Perhaps it may be wiser to steer clear of spicey things and alcohol 🍸 until you are on a more even keel. It's horrible to feel like that though isn't it . Good luck at gp let us know how you get on.

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »

Rebel that's exactly where my pain was ! It was horrible.  It's gone now and I'm flat again there

Weird how suddenly it came on for me and how suddenly it left 10-14 days later

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »

Rebel, citalopram has a sister drug called escitalopram.  I was changed to this AD after I had horrible side effects on citalopram.  It is kinder, more gentle.  I did get some side effects for about 5 days but nothing I couldn't handle with a little paracetamol and rennies. After 3 weeks I noticed improvement and am still on it after 22 months. We have become quite good friends  :)

rebel2

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »

Sounds good babyjane - what is the main difference between them?  I found citalopram upset my stomach [although that did settle], made me yawn and made me sleepy with weird dreams.  I also felt very flat and emotionless.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »

the doctor advised me that the escitalopram contains less of the additives that are known to cause side effects. Yes I still got tummy issues and weird dreams but that settled after about 3 weeks.  I still get the occasionally now but they pass.  the citalopram had me waking in the night with panic attacks and night terrors and I was terribly restless, couldn't sit still to save my life.

I must say that I do not respond emotionally like I did before, but I prefer that to being so up and down with mood swings, anxiety and depression. I don't panic like I did either and can travel in the car on a motorway with my husband again  :)  I am on a very low dose, 5mg which is all I need to keep me on an even keel.

rebel2

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »

Thanks Babyjane - I was on 10mg citalopram I think, but will ask for the escitalopram this time.

I am increasingly desperate, although my concerns centre on my stomach, which is very bad today.  I know SSRI are good for IBS symptoms, so hope that is the case for me. 

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »

Good luck, hope you find something that will help.  Remember it is not an overnight fix though, it may still take a little while to settle.
Pages: [1] 2