Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: is progesterone cream making me feel ill?  (Read 2845 times)

Sencho1999

• Tried HRT. Didn't work.
is progesterone cream making me feel ill?
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:36 AM »

Hi all,

I'm 42 and started progesterone cream 8 weeks ago in a bid to try to reduce the amount of menstrual migraines I've been having (mid cycle and curing menstruation). Also have had increasing anxiety, worse PMS, joint pain etc etc from around age 35 and has got progressively worse. Also maybe worth mentioning I have a 6 month old baby and a toddler. During both pregnancies my migraines and anxiety disappeared overnight so I thought maybe it was the constant high level of progesterone during pregnancy which helped with my headaches and so on.

So I started the cream 8 weeks ago, initially felt good. Had a few symptoms of estrogen wake up such as bloating but this passed quickly and all was good. My first cycle lengthen to 28 days which was great (had been have 24 days cycles) and my migraines improved.

BUT. At around the 6 week point I started to get a very itchy red rash on my chest when I applied the cream - this had not happened at all before. I have also started to get increasing episodes of nausea very much like morning sickness but I am definitely not pregnant. I had the usually spotting of old blood when I started the cream but now I'm at a point where it's almost daily spotting with not let up.

I've felt so nauseous the last few days that I can't operate. It's not a virus or bug. I've tried applying the cream other areas but they are starting to itch too. I guess I'm going to have to stop the cream but I just wanted to hear from anyone who may have experienced similar side effects on the cream.

Hurdity

Re: is progesterone cream making me feel ill?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

Hi Sencho1999

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Usually - the prog cream that is available off the shelf is so weak that it is unlikely to have any effect on your cycle at all, nor on the hormonal fluctuations of your cycle which are very pronounced during peri-menopause. However you could be allergic to the excipients ( what the prog is mixed with) - which is a separate issue from your other symptoms. If you've got it from a compounding pharmacy then it's impossible to stay as these preparations are not standardised and it's difficult to know how much you could be getting.

The spotting is most likely to be due to the peri-menopause - as is the nausea - a common symptom. Some gynaes consider that for women of your age, using the Combined contraceptive pill will help to regulate your cycle as well as providing contraception. If you get on with progesterone normally you might find this works for you. There are a couple that contain the same oestrogen as in HRT - ie estradiol, rather than thre stronger synthetic ones ( you might have used previously?) - called QLAIRA and ZOELY. Qlaira only has two tablet free days and all the other days have at least 1 mg of oestrogen. Low oestrogen is thought to be the main component of PMS - giving rise to low mood and often headaches. Also headaches in peri-menopause are usually also due to the extreme surges and falls in both oestrogen and progesterone.

When you were pregnant - you also had constant high levels of oestrogen and the levels of both hormones increased throughout the pregnancy - hence the disappearance of your headaches.

Here is an article about peri-menopause which might be helpful:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Read as much as you can - and have a think about stabilising your cycle with the CCP as you are still young enough to take it.

As always - if you are worried (about the spotting for example) then do consult your doctor for a proper investigation.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

:welcomemm:  You could also look at the Daisy web-site. [details on the Forum] Browse round.  Make notes.

Dana

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »

It is possible that the progesterone cream is overloading your body. There are known cases of progesterone toxicity when women use prog creams, even the off the shelf ones. Dr Elizabeth Vliet documented some in her books where she had to treat women with this problem.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:25:37 PM by Dana »

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »

It is a fine balance with prog cream, particularly if you're prone to migraine. My cycle also goes to 28 days exactly when using my cream. I've not tried the weak ones but if that happened it's likely the progesterone is strong as it's the same as what happens when you take synthetic progesterone and GPs prescribe this for younger women to help regulate their cycles and to help with conception. I also have nausea if prog goes too high but think this is migraine nausea which I get when hormones go too out of kilter.

I've taken a break from mine and using homeopathy and not doing too bad but I do miss the motivation, stamina and relaxation from the cream so may go back on a very low dose (as mine is very strong).

I think it's very much about dose and not over saturating.