Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Member Suffering Badly With Menopause  (Read 4132 times)

susiefreer

Re: New Member Suffering Badly With Menopause
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »

Thank you Wrensong, I have an app this afternoon so will mention all these things and keep you all posted.

susiefreer

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »

Hi everyone. Just posting to say my GP today has put me on fluoxetine and sending me for an ultrasound scan before starting me on HRT. I should also mention that i have had thyroid function test, 24 hr bp monitor, 24 hr ecg and all are ok. BP can be rather erratic but generally low with the odd high one and my pulse at rest is between 45 and 55 dropping lower over night. I cant take any form of beta blocker for my panicky/heart feelings as my pulse is already so low. Will keep you updated with the outcome.  :)

Wrensong

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »

Hi susifreer, GP sounds thorough, so together you should be able to get to the bottom of this now.  Hope the Fluoxetine helps & that HRT will make you feel so much better.  Good luck with the scan & treatment & yes, do let us know how you get on.

susiefreer

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »

Hi all, i did think i had posted a reply to everyone but cant see it so just to let you all know that i went to my GP yesterday, a lady GP this time and she was very understanding and has given me fluoxetine for the moment and is sending me for an ultrasound scan to make sure all is ok before putting me on HRT. Will keep you posted and in the meantime thank you for all the relies. X

susiefreer

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 07:02:12 AM »

Hi menopause friends. Since visiting my GP the other day i now feel slightly better. I have been taking Fluoxetine 20mg and the hot flushes seem to have stopped just about completely but the panicky feeling inside me is still hanging around although not as bad as it was. Gosh, i really would give anything to feel normal again . X

Wrensong

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »

Hi susiefreer - great news that the Fluoxetine seems to have helped your flushes.  Early days yet, so with any luck the panicky feelings will also settle soon.  Not sure whether HRT is still on the cards now the flushing is under better control, but if so, perhaps let us know how you go with that?  Hope scan outcome is good.

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »

Glad you are feeling better - but looking back you did reach menopause at 47 and although you are now at the approx average age for menopause. HRT for bone protection alone ( as well as heart) would be a good idea for a few years. Did you say why you were being sent for a scan before being offered HRT - had you experienced bleeding problems or pain? I am sure oestrogen will help with the palps/heart feelings as this is a symptoms of low oestrogen - not sure if Fluoxetine will do this? Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »

SO PLEASED that the flushes have stopped with your GP prescribing an AD which is known to ease flushes.  Some ladies have found that slightly prior to a 'flush' they experience sudden anxiety.  It's really Trial and Error to work out what is causing which symptoms sometimes  ::).

Stick with this GP she seems to have more knowledge about menopause than some out there.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful in charting what happens as it is so easy to forget how we feel from 1 day to the next  ::). It gives something to discuss with the GP/Practice Nurse too. 

Browse round.  Make notes!

susiefreer

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »

Hi, Hurdity, in answer to your questions, at the age of 47 my periods became irregular having only one every 3 or 4 months then they stopped altogether and i then tried HRT ( 3 times ) but bled each time and then had to stop taking it to establish if it was a period or if the bleed was caused by the HRT.  I am being sent for a scan as i do get severe bloating and intermittent sharp pains in my lower right side so i thing GP just making sure all is ok before starting me on HRT. The panicky / horrid heart thing is slightly better but it has not gone sadly.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »

Don't look for a cure too soon  ;) - let the medication/s do what they are designed for?
Pages: 1 [2]