Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Omeprazole  (Read 12896 times)

robotwars

Omeprazole
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »

Hi! can I just ask f anyone else has experienced side effects with this drug, I was prescribed it by the hospital at the beginning of August, I took it for a couple of days then 2am in the morning I woke up with stomach cramps, wind, nausea and felt rubbish so I stopped taking it, I started again 2 days ago then last night I woke up at 3am with the same thing, my stomach feels terrible, having to go to the bathroom a lot, stomach grumbling, wind,  started off feeling cold now hot, just wish I could get it to settle, have tried taking Buscopan and now drinking peppermint tea..... anyone got any ideas how to settle my stomach and should I carry on taking it, so confused.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Omeprazole
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »

Dr James le Fanu in Mondays Daily Telegraph often tells readers how difficult this drug is for some people to tolerate.

I have stuck with success to Rennies followed an hour later when necessary with another tablet. 

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »

Thanks for replies, I'm on the 40mg ones, and I have been taking it on an empty stomach and then not eating for an hour.

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »

I was on 40mg of Omeprazole (some PPIs are stronger so only 20mg max) and was ok initially but as I didn't need them (docs presumed I had an ulcer when was migraines from hormones) after a few months I started getting pains and worsening hormones.

They basically stop your stomach acid and this can cause food not to digest properly and could cause your symptoms. Or you may be better with Ranitidine or a different PPI as they do all affect you slightly differently. You can also buy Pantoprazole OTC to try for a couple of days to see if suits you better before getting a prescription - you would only need 20mg of that one as it's twice as strong.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:38:02 PM by dangermouse »

CaroleM

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »

I am on 20mg x twice a day. Are you sure that the dosage and frequency are clearly written on the box?  I ask because I had to get a replacement for my epipen today, the use by date I had fortunately memorized because the actual print on the container had rubbed off.

Seriously robotwars, you need to talk to your GP asap. Don't stop taking them without your GP knowing about it. If you are cautious about talking to your GP, have a chat with the pharmacist and get professional advice. Please remember there had to be a reason for the prescription to begin with. Talking to the pharmacist will be far quicker than a doctor's appointment probably.  I know that wind can be an embarrassing side effect, as can getting very up close and personal with the loo more often. If I remember properly they did take a bit of getting used to.

Brighteyes

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:40:05 AM »

I was prescribed this, because acid reflux can cause problems with asthma. But I don't suffer with acid reflux! I think they simply put 2 and 2 together and made 5 when I described my reactions to wheat. Didn't help that so I have stopped it. I didn't have any side effects though.

robotwars

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »

I have phoned my GP and I'm now awaiting a call from the triage nurse!
I was prescribed it because of a night time cough, went to my GP who sent me for xrays and a CT scan that showed whitening on my right lung which they say is caused by access acid..........

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »

I couldn't tolerate this medication either, it gave me terrible heartburn, worse than what I was taking it for.  Like CLKD I manage with Rennies when needed.

robotwars

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

no I'm not sparkle, but I have had a call from nurse, who cant help me so she has made me an appointment to see on call doctor later this afternoon.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »

This particular drug is often prescribed but is also known to cause some people problems.

Let us know?

CaroleM

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »

I was given this to help try to find a way of controlling a very peculiar quirk of my body.

No one has worked out what or why my body has become brilliant at mimicking a major heart attack.  I get the radiating pain from sternum to left jaw and arm, also spreading to the right side but not quite so viciously. I feel desperately nauseated, sweat and try rocking to alleviate the pain. I've had the camera up, down and inside out. All that has been proved is that I was born with a very narrow oesophagus!

One attack was so bad DH rang my surgery and spoke to the duty doctor. It turned out the doctor was talking to him with one phone and dialling 999 with another. I was hooked up to monitors, every measurement thinkable taken and lo and behold, everything had returned to normal. The scariest attack, that happened when I was driving!

It's totally weird.  I've even been told that if I do ever have a heart attack I will already know exactly how it feels in advance, uummmm!  I have taken this to stop any chance of acidic reflux putting in an appearance and causing burns for a number of years.  Mebeverine  I take before every meal.

I do feel for everyone who is having to cope with the numerous side effects and hope that each of you is feeling much better very soon.

Brighteyes

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »

Sounds like acute acid reflux Brighteyes.  Thank goodness you have had investigations.  Women have different symptoms to those that men suffer with a heart attack so I wonder why it has been suggested that you 'already know'  :-\.

It can happen to me suddenly or kind of creeps up  >:( .......... I have to sit up as laying down produces too much acid into my mouth.  As it happens around the same time at night - about 1.30 p.m. onwards - I reach for the Rennies.  Two chewed immediately and then another tablet an hour later ..........

robotwars

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »

Well went to the doctors, waited an hour and half to get in, and he has just changed the medication to Ranitidine 300mg at night..... been told to take it for two  months then come back to review!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »

Any discussion at all? Let us know how you get on.

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »

Yes - I understand your frustration.

I am like CLKD and babyjane - I have twice been to the docs over the past years ( some time ago) with stomach problems and once was prescribed Omp... and the other occasion Ranitidine. Needless to say both medications sat in the medicine cupboard unopened until they went out of date and I chucked them as I have a bit of an aversion to meds (especially if they are unnecessary!) - and in fact had only gone to see if there was something wrong - not to be prescribed something. Doc's first approach was to reach for the prescription pad and send me on my way!

I use indigestion tablets and occasionally Milk of Magnesia, and short term changes to diet, when my tum plays up - but realise something stronger may be necessary for some people.

I hope it works and you feel better anyway :)

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4