Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: A Year by the Sea  (Read 5037 times)

Ju Ju

A Year by the Sea
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »

ive just finished reading this short book.

A Year by the Sea, Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson.

It has got me through a few days of not being well enough to do much else.

This book was recommended to my DH by one his clients, so he ordered it on Amazon for a few pence. He read it, recommended it to other clients and passed it on to me.

I'm recommending it as I think it will resonate to many of us women at this time of our lives.

The blurb on the back, to cut a long blurb short, says that the author had slowly and unconsciously replaced her own dreams with the needs of her family and her relationship with her husband had become stagnant. She realised that she had neglected to nurture herself. When her husband received a job opportunity elsewhere, she shocked herself and him by refusing to go with him. She goes for a years retreat to a family cottage on Cape Cod. ( not your cosy cottage as in the UK.) The year is transformative and full of self discovery and the book is a record of this.

Now I know most of us don't have anywhere to retreat to or even want to, but she comes up with many words of wisdom. We all need to look after and nurture ourselves.

And, important to me, this book is an easy and lovely read! Now can I persuade DH to go on a trip to Cape Cod when we visit our son? ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: A Year by the Sea
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »

........ leaving you there 4 how long  ;)

Did her marriage survive?

purplenanny

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »

:great:   Thanks Ju Ju
I have just ordered it!
PN x

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

Put on my list.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:19:48 PM »

CLKD! Now that would be like reading the last page first! DH would probably want to come too!

PN and CG.....enjoy!

CaroleM

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »

I have ordered a 2nd hand paperback via amazon. Cost of book, under 50p + £2.45 postage. Kindle version £8+.