Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Scary  (Read 5474 times)

CaroleM

Scary
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »

Is it just me or is Trump being as dangerous as we all knew he is?

His words have put a chill through me.  I served in HM Forces during the Cold War. This man seems to be determined to start a nuclear war, the very thing we served to prevent, but were willing to put ourselves on the line if needed.

What does anyone else think? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Scary
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »

Hopefully it's blustering.  I lived with the threat of The Bomb all my Life  ::) and none of us can do anything about the future !  Live for the moment? 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »

We can though CLKD - it's called democracy.... millions of US citizens voted this dangerous imbecile into power (notwithstanding the inadequacies of the electoral system).

Anyone see the cartoon on FB of the two men (ie Trump and Kim Jong Un) with their er private parts in the shape of their rocket launchers (better not use the P word on here?) sticking upwards.....?

Hurdity x

CaroleM

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »

Sparkle, none of us are insane.  Actually, we might be the sanest people on the planet.  There is an up to meno ;D

Hurdity, I didn't see the FB cartoon, but I do have a very good imagination! 

CLKD, sometimes it got scary, big time. I read that the Doomsday Clock was reset, to 2.75 minutes to midnight.  I have a thought that you too might have been serving and willing to sacrifice if required.  I also hope it is all puff and bluff.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:41 PM »

I have never been willing to sacrifice on behalf of others.  What I do for myself is up to me. 

Hurdity - how can I make any difference to what is being threatened?  We aren't able to influence what the Yanks have voted for any more than I am responsible for what our MPs etc. decide upon, regardless of their manifestos  >:(

Is Trump going to say "I told you so" when push comes to shove ........ at least at this rate I won't need to worry about C.mas  :-X

CaroleM

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:53 PM »

Trey, you are better placed to think of an answer to my next question than I am or ever will be.  Do you think Trump would be so gung ho, lock and load if his son were in the US Military and stationed in Guam or South Korea?

I can understand a backlash of political opinion when the electorate feel that they want profound change, it happened to a degree here during our last General Election.  Your countrymen and women are for the most, educated, savvy and fair minded, at least those I know are.  So what made them turn to someone who has no political experience, appears to be openly misogynistic, even xenophobic perhaps and appears quite happy to plunge his country into something there might be no way of turning back from?  Has someone questioned his sanity?  I ask because maybe Sparkle has a valid point about the current  world leaders.

Take care of yourself and I hope all this does not cause your meno to make life more difficult than it might already be.

Brighteyes

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »

Trey, I usually try not to get involved in political discussions as feelings naturally run so high and debate can easily get overheated, but from this distance in the UK, it's really interesting to hear your thoughts on a situation that frankly seems like an ongoing car crash.  As a fairly politically naive observer, I thought Obama was well meaning (but his potential stifled by Congress) & I greatly feared Trump being elected, but I don't have to live so closely with the consequences of either administration as US citizens do.  Thank you for contributing.  I hope for all our sakes this doesn't come to the insane conclusion we all fear.

CaroleM

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »

All we, on this side of the pond, can do is trust that calm level heads prevail.  I agree with every word Wrensong says.

As the originator of this thread, can I suggest we take it no further.

Brighteyes

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:42 PM »

Brighteyes - please don't feel there was anything wrong in starting this thread.  Your original question was timely & thought-provoking on an issue that affects us all and there have been some interesting replies.  The debate has so far been well mannered and I imagine other forum members will want to contribute at some point.  It would be a shame if we couldn't raise important topical issues on an adult forum in the expectation of discussing them in a respectful manner.  However, if you yourself would rather it didn't continue then I understand that too.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »

We are in a scary situation!  He is a man who 'won't be told'! so will push his points thinking that others will back down.  However, we are not in the playground  :bang: :bang: :bang:

At this rate I won't be getting my Pension ....... bet the Government didn't think it might 'end' with the US pushing others to the limits when they moved those Goal Posts!  ::)

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »

Sorry brighteyes that's my fault, I'm not well today and only reading bits hear and there and never saw what you put xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

I agree - I don't think that any MPs etc. should spend their time on social media, it is NOT what they are paid for and who is financing it?  Probably the UK Tax payer?  Once it's said it's out there for all to read  ::)

CaroleM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:32:55 PM »

So long as the discussion stays civilized and adult, then I am happy for it to continue.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »

Brighteyes - once an open thread has been unleashed onto this forum - it goes its own way and only the moderator can lock or remove it in extremis! All discussions on this forum should be civilised and adult - most of us see to that - so no need to worry. It's an interesting topic and one that should be aired and discussed.  If interest wanes then it will just drop off the page!

Recent events only go to reinforce the concern about Trump (as if we needed anything more!) - eg his refusal to condemn explicitly the white supremacists from the far-right, responsible for the violence in Virginia. Unfortunately when leaders like him get into power it can appear to "legitimise" extreme and often bigoted views.

Hurdity x