Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena - feeling a failure but had it removed  (Read 2806 times)

peri

Mirena - feeling a failure but had it removed
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »

Hi all

After trialling the mirena for 6 months and posting about it I've had it removed, so feeling a bit of a failure really.  I took the decision to have it out as I had developed a tremor in my left foot and when I thought about it it started around the time I had the mirena inserted. When I googled tremor (fatal I know) it said start of underlying disease and this freaked me out.

I've had it out a week now and results so far are:

Tremor doesn't seem as bad (I may be imagining this).
Feeling of joy has returned (mirena in me gave me a  lack of joy).
The big plus - a massive rebound return of libido.  I knew mirena was suppressing my sex drive but didn't realise how much, currently feel 20 again on that score!

Any comments/advice very welcome, Peri x

Salad

Re: Mirena - feeling a failure but had it removed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »

I'm impressed with you lasting six months - My mirena experience lasted 5 days  ;D

I believe any medical intervention should ultimately make you feel better- you gave it a good try. Hopefully you'll find something else that works better for you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »

The feeling of failure will alter to acceptance as you find out the benefits of having had it removed!

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

Suzi Q

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »

Well done 4 of my freinds had theirs removed for similar reasons xxx

peri

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »

Thanks for your kind words ladies.  If I'm honest I do feel better without it x

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »

The Mirena was the failure, not you!

Hormonal intervention is always going to be hit and miss, hopefully you'll hit with the next one.

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »

That is how I felt after coming off the pill  ;D  I would have been happy like that if it were not for all the other symptoms.  ;)

mirena releases 20mcg/24hr which is supposed to stay in the uterus - not sure how.
femseven patch (sequi) releases 10mcg/24 hours through the skin.

I know that there is a lot of humming and ha-ing about how much this actually leads to circulating round your body and doing the useful things needed and the methods of delivery are not directly comparable - but mirena was originally designed as a contraceptive and is used to reduce heavy bleeding so it would be nice if they could design something specifically for hrt.  ::)

walkingthedog

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 06:23:06 AM »

We'll done for trying peri. I recall you got your mirena not Long after i did.
Apart from the two periods a month it caused me to have i think.the mirena suited me, it was definitely the best progesterone for me. Shame it affected your libido like that as i had the opposite experience 🙂 i have now had full hysterectomy.
I hope you find something that suits you xx

Ljp

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 08:15:52 AM »

Did it hurt having it removed? I'm doing fine with mine (20 months now) but it was painful having it put in.
Also my strings have gone awol! Had a scan and coil still where it should be, but was told I'd have to go to a clinic to have it removed as and when.

Sooby

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »

Well done for trying it Peri,

top marks for sticking with it for 6 months and thank you for posting about ditching it. Don't feel bad. I really admire you for giving it a go and totally respect your decision to get rid. :)

Congrats on the "resuming relations" front too.  ;) Bet your not the only one who's pleased about that positive outcome.

I was recommended it but REALLY didn't think it was right for me and don't regret my decision especially when I read posts like yours. 

peri

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 10:36:32 AM »

Hi ladies thanks for all your posts, it helps confirm I made the right decision.

Dahliagirl - good point, it's about time something was designed specifically for hrt.  There's definitely a need and I'd like to think somebody somewhere is working on it.

Walkingthedog - thanks for your support.  I hope your hysterectomy was a success and you're feeling better.

Ljp - having it removed was much less painful and traumatic than having it inserted, it was also over in a few seconds.  Having said that if they can't find the strings it takes longer.  That was the position I was in when I had the copper coil removed and the mirena inserted at the same time and it was the lost strings that prolonged it.  Hopefully if you're going to clinic you'll get an experienced practitioner who knows what they're doing (and take some pain killers beforehand). Wishing you luck.

Dolby - Yes, feeling better in all fronts.  I had mirena recommended by menopause clinic and wasn't sure because of my previous history of not tolerating the contraceptive pill.  Sometimes we just know what's best for us don't we!x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:54:59 AM »

HI peri

Definitely not a failure and especially not after trying it for 6 months!!

It is a fallacy that Mirena is not absorbed systemically - it is!  I've posted about this several times. The only reason this is stated by gynaes is because as dahiiagirl says it is designed for contraception mainly and if you compare the amount of progestogen abosrbed with an oral POP then the absorption from Mirena is miniscule. However I did do some comparisons a while back and I found that the Mirena at some points ( the amount released decreases gradually the longer it is in place) to be very approximately equivalent to Femseven combi HRT patches (same "ballpark") in terms of systemic absorption so it's no wonder that some women are sensitive to this. Would need to check this again because it was difficult to work it out from all the figures given!?

Many love it though so still an excellent choice if you are OK with synthetic progestogens. There is the jaydess which is much lower concentration of levonorgestrel but unfortunately has not been tested for its effect on endometrium as part of HRT - this is definitely something that should be done - I agree dahliagirl and peri!!

Peri - glad to hear you are now feeling better. :)

Hurdity x

peri

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »

Thanks Hurdity

I also remember you flagging up the dichotomy of having a mirena (synthetic prog) whilst using testosterone (non-synthetic).  I'm doing this from memory now but I think you posed the question of how free circulating T (shbg) is affected.  For what it's worth from my experience of the last 6 months I would say it is definitely affected, and the evidence for me is the rebound effect on libido since I've had the mirena removed.  Hope I've explained this correctly x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I didn't feel myself on it at all. 2 of the girls I work with both have Mirena, they are late 30's and I suspect they use it for contraception rather than HRT and they both love it. Maybe they have much more oestrogen than us so maybe why they have taken to it.

Libido and feelings of happiness are good aspects to life, to have them robbed by hormones is so unfair, you made the right decision xx